Red Bulls Storm Back, Come up Short at Seattle
Two late Seattle Sounders FC (14-9-7, 49 pts) goals down the New York Red Bulls (12-12-5, 41 pts), 4-2, on Sunday at CenturyLink Field.
Despite the loss, New York needs just six points in the final four matches to secure a playoff spot for the 10th consecutive season.
Seattle rattled off two quick goals through the first 23 minutes for the early 2-0 lead from Jordan Morris and Nicolas Lodeiro.
New York responded with two consecutive goals of their own as Aaron Long headed in the first and Kaku cashed in the second.
The Sounders, however, came back with an own goal and Lodeiro's second to capture three points at home.
Long converted his second goal of 2019 and sixth career goal. He tied Seth Stammler for the second most as a defender in franchise history, just one goal back of Steve Jolley's franchise lead of seven by a defender.
Kaku scored his fifth goal of the season and 11th career goal at New York.
The Argentine Designated Player has tallied a point in three of the last four matches (2 G, 1A).
Daniel Royer, who is tied for the team lead in goals at nine, recorded his team-best eighth assist. Royer is just one goal and two assists shy of becoming the first player since Thierry Henry in 2014 to record 10 goals and 10 assists in a single season.
Bradley Wright-Phillips tallied his 27th career MLS assist to move into a tie with Dax McCarty for fifth all-time in franchise history.
Marc Rzatkowski recorded his seventh MLS assist, which tied his single-season high.
Michael Amir Murillo, tallied his sixth league assist, first assist since June 1 versus Real Salt Lake.
New York will continue their West Coast trip at Portland on Wednesday before returning East to host the Philadelphia Union on Saturday, Sept. 22. The Red Bulls and Timbers will be covered on MSG, MSG Go and New York Red Bulls Radio with a 10:30 p.m. EST kickoff.
New York Red Bulls 2, Seattle Sounders FC 4
2019 MLS Regular-Season Match 30
Sunday, September 15, 2019 - 6 p.m. ET
CenturyLink Field | Seattle, Wash.
SEA - Jordan Morris 9 (unassisted) 2'
SEA - Nicolás Lodeiro 6 (Morris, Roldan) 23'
NY - Aaron Long 2 (Murillo, Wright-Phillips) 27'
NY - Kaku 5 (Royer, Rzatkowski) 67'
SEA - Sean Davis (OG) 83'
SEA - Nicolas Lodeiro 7 (Roldan, Abdul-Salaam) 90'+4'
NY - Aaron Long (caution, unsporting behavior) 12'
NY - Michael Amir Murillo (caution, dissent) 26'
SEA - Jordy Delem (caution, unsporting behavior) 38'
NY - Bradley Wright-Phillips (caution, simulation) 76'
SEA - Cristian Roldan (caution, handball) 89'
New York Red Bulls: Luis Robles ©; Rece Buckmaster, Michael Amir Murillo, Amro Tarek (Tim Parker, HT), Aaron Long, Cristian Casseres, Jr. (Josh Sims, 39'), Sean Davis, Marc Rzatkowski Kaku (Alex Muyl, 81'), Daniel Royer, Bradley Wright-Phillips
TOTAL SHOTS: 10; SHOTS ON GOAL: 6; FOULS: 6; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 3
Seattle Sounders: Stefan Frei; Brad Smith, Kelvin Leerdam, Kim Kee-hee, Xavier Arreaga, Cristian Roldan, Gustav Svensson, Jordan Morris (Joevin Jones, 85'), Jordy Delem (Victor Rodriguez 66'), Nicolás Lodeiro, Raúl Ruidíaz (Saad Adbul-Salaam, 90'+2')
TOTAL SHOTS: 15; SHOTS ON GOAL: 6; FOULS: 8; OFFSIDE: 1; CORNER KICKS: XX; SAVES: XX
Referee: Allen Chapman
Assistant Referees: Oscar Mitchell-Carvalho, Nick Uranga
4th Official: Thomas Snyder
VAR: Tim Ford
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 16, 2019
- Red Bulls Storm Back, Come up Short at Seattle - New York Red Bulls
- Sounders FC Continues Kick Childhood Cancer Month Activities at this Wednesday's Match against FC Dallas - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: September 16, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Voted MLS Player of the Week - LA Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan IbrahimoviÄ? Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Colorado Rapids to Host Memorial Service in Honor of Colin Clark - Colorado Rapids
- Allan Cruz Named to MLS Team of the Week - FC Cincinnati
- Red Bull Arena to Host Sky Blue FC Home Finale on September 29 - New York Red Bulls
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: September 16, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- Nicolas Gagnon Takes Part in the Federation Francaise de Football Course with MLS - Montreal Impact
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: September 16-21 - Chicago Fire
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 7, Sporting Kansas City 2 - Sunday, September 15, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Breaks LA Galaxy Single-Season Scoring Record - LA Galaxy
- Sporting Suffers Defeat on the Road against the LA Galaxy - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Red Bulls Fall Short to Philadelphia, 4-3 in Overtime
- New York Red Bulls, Newark Board of Education and Southern New Hampshire University Launch "Goal for Perfect Attendance" Program
- Match Preview: New York Heads to Philadelphia for Round One of the Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs
- Luis Robles Named a Finalist for MLS WORKS Humanitarian of the Year
- New York Red Bulls Name Natasha Patel Head of Performance Analysis