LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan IbrahimoviÄ? Voted MLS Player of the Week
September 16, 2019 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK - LA Galaxy forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic was voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Week for the 28th week of the 2019 MLS season.
Ibrahimovic recorded a hat trick in the Galaxy's dominant 7-2 home victory over Sporting Kansas City on Sunday, the third of his MLS career and second this season, while breaking a club record for goals in a season. The Swede has 26 goals, second-most in MLS, to go along with four assists this season. Ibrahimovic needs six goals over the Galaxy's remaining four matches to break the MLS single-season goalscoring record. LA sits fifth in the Western Conference with 44 points (14-13-3 overall record).
After falling behind early in a crucial matchup with postseason implications, Ibrahimovic pulled the Galaxy even in the 32nd minute. Ibrahimovic's attempted penalty kick was saved by a diving stop from SKC goalkeeper Tim Melia, only for Ibrahimovic to collect the loose ball in front of goal and finish with a right-footed strike.
The Galaxy took a 3-1 lead in the 51st minute on a brilliant display of touch in the box by Ibrahimovic who deflected an inbound pass to himself and fired off a left-footed shot in between two defenders. Ibrahimovic completed his hat trick in the 85th minute to give LA a 7-1 lead when collecting an Efraín Álvarez pass and firing a left-footed shot into the right side of goal.
The LA Galaxy next host the Montreal Impact on Saturday at Dignity Health Sports Park (10:30 p.m. ET, TVAS / ESPN+).
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
Images from this story
LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic
(Major League Soccer LLC)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 16, 2019
- Red Bulls Storm Back, Come up Short at Seattle - New York Red Bulls
- Sounders FC Continues Kick Childhood Cancer Month Activities at this Wednesday's Match against FC Dallas - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: September 16, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Voted MLS Player of the Week - LA Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan IbrahimoviÄ? Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Colorado Rapids to Host Memorial Service in Honor of Colin Clark - Colorado Rapids
- Allan Cruz Named to MLS Team of the Week - FC Cincinnati
- Red Bull Arena to Host Sky Blue FC Home Finale on September 29 - New York Red Bulls
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: September 16, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- Nicolas Gagnon Takes Part in the Federation Francaise de Football Course with MLS - Montreal Impact
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: September 16-21 - Chicago Fire
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 7, Sporting Kansas City 2 - Sunday, September 15, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Breaks LA Galaxy Single-Season Scoring Record - LA Galaxy
- Sporting Suffers Defeat on the Road against the LA Galaxy - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.