Record breaking inning powers Z's
The Zephyrs broke out of their hitting slump on Friday by drilling four home runs and scoring 17 runs in a 17-3 win over Memphis. The Z's bats came alive in a 13 run fourth inning. The Z's got three, three run home runs in the same inning. Brad Davis, Donnie Murphy and Scott Cousins provided the power in a record breaking inning. The 13 runs is a Zephyrs franchise record for most runs in a single inning. New Orleans had dropped 4 consecutive games prior to Friday's outburst. Hector Luna drilled a solo shot in the eighth inning, the Z's added four more runs that inning. Brian Lawrence pitched seven innings and earned his fifth win of the season. All of the starters had hits led by Mruphy with 4 hits and three RBI. Memphis starter Lance Lynn pitched three scoreless innings before being touched up for 8 runs and suffered the loss.
Game Notes- The Z's did have a season high 17 runs, 20 hits, and four home runs in the game. New Orleans made several roster moves, adding outfielder Seth Fortenberry from Jupiter and pitcher Wes Whisler from the Charlotte Knights. Whisler was acquired in a trade. The 13 runs allowed in a inning and 17 runs for a game are new franchise records for Memphis.
Coming Up: The Zephyrs continue the four game set in Memphis on Saturday. The Zephyrs will send LH Wes Whisler (0-0, 0.00) to face Redbirds RH Adam Ottavino (4-3, 3.17) RADIO WMTI 106.1 FM
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 18, 2010
- Record breaking inning powers Z's - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Homers Sink Express 5-1 In 11 Innings - Round Rock Express
- Iowa defeats Albuquerque - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds Take Down RedHawks In Series Opener, 10-4 - Nashville Sounds
- PGE Park, Portland Beavers Present Fourth of July Fireworks - Portland Beavers
- 'Birds, Sounds Set for Double Dips - Memphis Redbirds
- Zephyrs' Miller Named PCL All-Star Trainer - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- San Diego Padres to Hold June 24 Open Player Tryout at PGE Park - Portland Beavers
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- 2010 Triple-A All-Star Field Staffs Announced - PCL
- River Cats Rally For 8-6 Victory Over Aces - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.