Iowa defeats Albuquerque
Cubs starter J.R. Mathes (6-5, 4.61) held Albuquerque to three runs over six and one-third innings to lead Iowa to a 6-3 win over the Isotopes Friday night at Principal Park in front of a large contingent of 10,822 fans. With the win, Mathes is now in sole possession of second place in the Iowa Cubs' all-time wins list. Mathes' 37 career wins rank one short of Dave Swartzbaugh's club-leading 38 wins.
Mathes faced early trouble in the top of the first, allowing back-to-back one-out singles. Albuquerque outfielder Jamie Hoffmann then lifted a pitch to centerfield to plate Ivan De Jesus Jr. on a sacrifice fly. Mathes then sent down the next 12 batters and did not allow a baserunner until catcher J.D. Closser was hit by a pitch in the top of the fifth. Mathes also collected a streak of 18 Isotopes that went without a hit after giving up his second single in the top of the first.
The Cubs' offense got off to an early start, scoring all six runs over the first three innings. The middle of the Iowa order did a majority of the damage to Isotope starter Seth Etherton (2-1, 4.07) as Brad Snyder, Micah Hoffpauir, Bobby Scales and Bryan LaHair went a combined 7-for-14. Brad Snyder was a home run shy of the cycle and Bryan LaHair continued his hot hitting streak, going 1-for-2 with a double, two RBIs and two walks. LaHair is now hitting .371 (13-for-35) over his last ten games.
Etherton was hit with the loss, his first of the year.
Brian Schlitter shut down Albuquerque in the bottom of the ninth, sending down the Topes in order, all on strikeouts. Schlitter collected his 11th save of the season.
The series continues tomorrow night at Principal Park with a 7:05 p.m. start. Lefty Alberto Bastardo (1-0, 7.50) will start for Albuquerque and oppose Cubs' right-hander Thomas Diamond (5-2, 2.34).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 18, 2010
- Record breaking inning powers Z's - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Homers Sink Express 5-1 In 11 Innings - Round Rock Express
- Iowa defeats Albuquerque - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds Take Down RedHawks In Series Opener, 10-4 - Nashville Sounds
- PGE Park, Portland Beavers Present Fourth of July Fireworks - Portland Beavers
- 'Birds, Sounds Set for Double Dips - Memphis Redbirds
- Zephyrs' Miller Named PCL All-Star Trainer - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- San Diego Padres to Hold June 24 Open Player Tryout at PGE Park - Portland Beavers
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- 2010 Triple-A All-Star Field Staffs Announced - PCL
- River Cats Rally For 8-6 Victory Over Aces - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.