Homers Sink Express 5-1 In 11 Innings
ROUND ROCK, Texas - Scott Thorman's one-out solo homer snapped a 1-1 tie in the top of the 11th, and Cody Clark's three-run shot capped the inning as the Omaha Royals defeated the Round Rock Express 5-1 in Friday night's series opener at The Dell Diamond. The Express (30-39) have lost eight of nine and fall to 2-6 in extra-inning games, including a 1-5 mark in extra-inning games at home. The Royals (36-30) move to 6-3 against Round Rock on the season.
Thorman drilled a 1-0 Brad Thompson offering just over the yellow line in straight-away center field for his ninth round-tripper of the season. After a groundout, Jordan Parraz doubled into the left-field corner. Ed Lucas was then intentionally walked, and Clark took a 1-0 Thompson pitch over the wall in left-center. It was Clark's second homer of the season.
That made a winner of Matt Herges (3-2), who worked the game's final 2.0 innings without allowing a run; he worked around trouble in each inning, allowing three hits and a walk. Starter Philip Humber allowed one run on three hits and a walk with five strikeouts over 7.0 innings.
Thompson (0-2), who started the season in the Royals organization, took the loss. Starter Andy Van Hekken surrendered a run on seven hits and three walks with six strikeouts over 7.0 innings. Chris Sampson, on a rehab assignment, worked a perfect eighth with two strikeouts. Gary Majewski allowed a hit with four strikeouts in 2.0 scoreless innings.
Round Rock took the game's first lead with a run on two hits in the third. The Express loaded the bases with one out on a Drew Meyer walk, a Yordany Ramirez single, and a Jason Bourgeois single. Wladimir Sutil, in his first game with the Express after being promoted from Double-A Corpus Christi following Thursday's game, delivered a sacrifice fly.
Omaha tied the game with a run on three hits in the top of the sixth. Alex Gordon singled to open the frame and later scored on Jai Miller's two-out RBI single.
The Express had several chances late. In the eighth, Drew Locke led off with a single but was stranded at second when Omaha second baseman Kurt Mertins snagged Sutil's two-out line drive up the middle. Chris Johnson singled with one out in the ninth and moved to second on a wild pitch, but he was stranded there. Locke again delivered a leadoff single in the 10th, and Express had runners on the corners with two outs when Sutil grounded out. Johnson and Jason Castro had consecutive one-out singles in the bottom of the 11th, but Matt Kata grounded into a game-ending double play.
Locke was 3-for-4, his highest hit total in a game this season. Johnson was 2-for-5. Jason Bourgeois was 1-for-3 and intentionally walked twice.
Clark was 2-for-3 with three RBI and a walk for the Royals, while Ed Lucas was 3-for-4 with a walk and a run scored.
Round Rock and Omaha continue the four-game series Saturday with a 7:05 p.m. CDT first pitch. Right-hander Shane Loux (2-2, 6.75 ERA) is scheduled to start on the mound for the Express. The Cubs have not yet announced a starter as the scheduled starter, southpaw Everett Teaford, was scratched prior to Friday's game.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 18, 2010
- Record breaking inning powers Z's - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Homers Sink Express 5-1 In 11 Innings - Round Rock Express
- Iowa defeats Albuquerque - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds Take Down RedHawks In Series Opener, 10-4 - Nashville Sounds
- PGE Park, Portland Beavers Present Fourth of July Fireworks - Portland Beavers
- 'Birds, Sounds Set for Double Dips - Memphis Redbirds
- Zephyrs' Miller Named PCL All-Star Trainer - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- San Diego Padres to Hold June 24 Open Player Tryout at PGE Park - Portland Beavers
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- 2010 Triple-A All-Star Field Staffs Announced - PCL
- River Cats Rally For 8-6 Victory Over Aces - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Special Guests Added for Encore Drive-In Night at Dell Diamond
- Koe Wetzel to Perform Live at Dell Diamond on October 16
- Inaugural Tailgates and Tunes Concert Series Relaunched
- Encore Drive-In Night Featuring Kane Brown Comes to Dell Diamond
- Make It a September to Remember at Dell Diamond