Real Salt Lake Midfielder Braian Ojeda Named to Paraguay Roster
HERRIMAN, Utah - Real Salt Lake MF Braian Ojeda was named earlier today to the Paraguay roster for upcoming friendlies against Peru (Wednesday, Nov. 16 in Lima) and Colombia (Saturday, Nov. 19 in Ft. Lauderdale).
Since his arrival on loan from English Premier League side Nottingham Forest to the Wasatch Front in late August, Ojeda quickly inserted himself into the RSL selection, appearing in seven regular-season and playoff games this past season for the Claret-and-Cobalt, starting six. Playing as both a two-way midfielder in the double pivot and as the six protecting a back four, Ojeda provided exhibitions of defensive tenacity, exquisite touch on the ball and passing vision moving forward.
Ojeda joined Nottingham Forest last August at the outset of their EFL Championship campaign, appearing in three matches following a South American club career in his native Paraguay and a year-long loan in Argentina. Throughout Ojeda's first European season, the athletic two-way midfielder made four international appearances for Paraguay, each full FIFA World Cup qualifiers. Ojeda has also made 16 appearances for La Albirroja youth international sides at the U-17, U-20 and U-23 (Olympic) levels.
As an 18-year-old, Ojeda made his professional debut with Paraguay's oldest and most historically-dominant club, Olimpia, who he represented as a youth. Between December, 2018, and August, 2021, Ojeda made 40 appearances with Olimpia, while also spending time on loan in Argentina with first-division side Defensa y Justicia, appearing in 12 matches.
Ojeda became the youngest international on Real Salt Lake's roster, the Paraguayan one year younger than Argentine MF Pablo Ruiz. Ojeda arrives as the Claret-and-Cobalt's second-ever Paraguayan international, joining 2016 FW Pedro Báez. In MLS, Ojeda becomes the ninth Paraguayan, all but one playing in for Western Conference sides. During the League's 27-year history, Ojeda became the 20th Paraguayan to appear, upon his first MLS minute in his Sept. 4 debut at eventual champion LAFC.
Major League Soccer's U-22 initiative is designed to allow MLS clubs to add players age 22 and younger to rosters, often with lucrative contracts at a reduced budget charge, decreasing the risk associated with acquiring or retaining players still approaching their prime.
#88 - Braian Ojeda
Pronunciation: BRY-an oh-HEY-duh
Hometown: Itauguá, Paraguay
Date of Birth: 27 June 2000 (22)
How Acquired: Signed via MLS U-22 initiative on loan from Nottingham Forest FC (England) on 4 August 2022
Utah's Major League Soccer side returns in early January, 2023, as RSL's preseason preparations in Utah and Arizona advance the Club's 19th regular-season kickoff on the weekend of Saturday, February 25 to kick off the 28th MLS campaign. Over the past two seasons, RSL has earned an 18W-7L-9T home record at what is now known as America First Field in Sandy, setting a new Club mark in 2022 with 17 sellout crowds in as many MLS contests at the 14-year-old venue.
2023 Season Tickets can be purchased at www.RSL.com/tickets, or by calling 844.Real.Tix.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 14, 2022
- Earthquakes Announce Roster Moves Ahead of 2023 MLS Season - San Jose Earthquakes
- Arreaga Named to Ecuador Final Roster for FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Whitecaps FC Announce Additional 2023 Roster Updates - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- New York Red Bulls Midfielder Cristian Cásseres, Jr. Selected to Venezuela Roster for Upcoming Friendlies - New York Red Bulls
- Minnesota United Announce 2022 End of Season Roster Update - Minnesota United FC
- Charlotte FC Announces Further Roster Decisions - Charlotte FC
- D.C. United Announce Roster Decisions Ahead of 2023 Season - D.C. United
- LA Galaxy Announce 2022 Roster Decisions - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Midfielder Braian Ojeda Named to Paraguay Roster - Real Salt Lake
- Real Salt Lake Winger Jefferson Savarino Named to Venezuela Roster - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Sign Forward Felipe Mora to a Contract Extension - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Announces Partnership with Eleven Sports Media - FC Dallas
- Anton Tinnerholm Departs New York City Football Club - New York City FC
- GRAMMY Award-Winning Pop Artist PNK to Headline Concert at GEODIS Park in September 2023 - Nashville SC
- Colombia and Paraguay Announce Star-Studded Rosters for November 19 Friendly at DRV PNK Stadium - Inter Miami CF
- Colorado Rapids and UCHealth Launch Health-Focused Initiative as Part of Multi-Year Jersey Rights Deal - Colorado Rapids
- Atlanta United Announces Year-End Roster Moves - Atlanta United FC
- FC Dallas Announces Roster Decisions for 2023 Season - FC Dallas
- Orlando City SC Announces End-Of-Season Statuses Following 2022 MLS Season - Orlando City SC
- FC Cincinnati Foundation Opens Mini Pitch at Austinburg Park in CovingtonÃÂ ÃÂ - FC Cincinnati
- FC Dallas' FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022© Watch Party Series Kicks off One Week from Today - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- RSL U-17 Head Coach Andrew May Heads to France to Participate in Elite Formation Coaching License Program
- Real Salt Lake Joins North American Powers Monterrey FC and Seattle Sounders as Leagues Cup 2023 Groups Unveiled
- Real Salt Lake Midfielder Diego Luna Named to U.S. U-20 Youth National Team Roster
- Real Salt Lake Partners with Shift4 to Power Payments at All Club Venues
- Real Salt Lake Inks Midfielder Mailel Chang to Contract Extension