Real Monarchs SLC Transfers Stanley Okumu to IF Elfsborg for Record USL Championship Fee
HERRIMAN, Utah - Real Monarchs SLC have transferred the rights to DF Stanley Okumu to Swedish first division side IF Elfsborg for a USL Championship record transfer fee for an outgoing player, the club announced today.
"First and foremost, we are ecstatic for Stanley. Since his arrival at the club, Stanley has bought into the plan laid out for him to continue to develop as a player," Real Monarchs SLC General Manager Dan Egner said. "His hard work and continued determination to improve earned him the chance to move to a European first division club. From a club standpoint, this is historic. We set out to win and develop with the Monarchs, and this illustrates the execution of a significant part of the club's vision. We are excited to break the USL record for a transfer fee, and we hope this move helps raise the profile of the league and our club at the global level."
Okumu, 22, arrived at the Monarchs during the 2018 season where he featured in just two matches for the club in 2018, totaling 173 minutes. Okumu arrived from AFC Ann Arbor where he helped his side to a second consecutive Great Lakes Conference Championship before leading his team to the 2018 NPSL National Semifinal. Okumu's impressive resumé includes a 2018 NPSL National XI selection and 2018 Great Lakes Conference Best XI before being selected as the TopDrawer Soccer NPSL Player of the Year in 2018. This season, the Kenya native has appeared in 10 matches for the Monarchs, eight of which were starts to total 716 minutes played. In June, Okumu became the first player in RSL and Real Monarchs history to be named to a final roster for the African Cup of Nations when he was named to Kenya's final tournament roster. During the 2019 African Cup of Nations, Okumu made three appearances for the Harambe Stars and played 270 minutes.
Transaction: Real Monarchs SLC transfers Stanley Okumu to Swedish first division side IF Elfsborg for a USL Championship record transfer fee.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 28, 2019
- Lights FC Level on the Road against Tulsa - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Tulsa Roughnecks Draw against Las Vegas Lights 1-1 - FC Tulsa
- Legion FC Settles for Draw, Keeps Unbeaten Streak Alive at Loudoun - Birmingham Legion FC
- Loudoun United Draw with the Birmingham Legion 1-1 at Segra Field - Loudoun United FC
- ATL UTD 2 Falls 2-1 against Memphis 901 FC - Atlanta United 2
- Najem's Two Second-Half Goals Rally Memphis 901 FC to Three Points - Memphis 901 FC
- Aaron Cervantes Named to U-17 MNT 23-Player Roster for the 4 Nations Tournament - Orange County SC
- Nashville SC's Official Watch Party this Saturday at TailGate Brewery - Nashville SC
- North Carolina FC Defender Adam Armour Included in U.S. U-17 Youth National Team Squad for 4 Nations Tournament - North Carolina FC
- Austin Bold Adds Midfielder George Acosta to Roster - Austin Bold FC
- Akinyode's Match-Winning Goal Brings Back Memories of Mensah's Iconic 2018 Winner - Nashville SC
- Independence Announce 2020 Season Membership, American Legion Memorial Stadium Priority - Charlotte Independence
- LouCity Preps for Friday Night Showdown vs. Indy - Louisville City FC
- Mukhtar's Championship-Winning Goal Begins Journey to Nashville SC - Nashville SC
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 26 - USL
- Charity Match Kit Revealed - Hartford Athletic
- Real Monarchs SLC Transfers Stanley Okumu to IF Elfsborg for Record USL Championship Fee - Real Monarchs SLC
- It's Match Day at ONEOK Tonight: Gates Open at 6:30 - FC Tulsa
- Tacoma Defiance Hangs Tough with Top Team in League But Falls in Final Minutes - Tacoma Defiance
- Phoenix Rising Wins 16th Match in a Row Following Three-Goal Flurry in Final Moments - Phoenix Rising FC
- Poku Named to Championship Team of the Week - Tampa Bay Rowdies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Monarchs SLC Stories
- Real Monarchs Falls 4-0 to Locomotive FC in Final Match of 2020
- Real Monarchs Fall 1-0 to New Mexico United in Penultimate Match of 2020
- Real Monarchs Draws 1-1 with Colorado Springs
- Real Monarchs Visit Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Real Monarchs Fall to El Paso Locomotive 1-0