Rangers Sign Rookie Midfielder Camden Riley
The Swope Park Rangers announced today that the club has signed 22-year-old midfielder Camden Riley to a USL contract.
Riley was selected by Sporting Kansas City with the No. 45 overall pick in the 2019 MLS SuperDraft last month but did not sign for the club. He has joined the Rangers for their preseason preparations ahead of the USL Championship campaign, which begins March 9 with a visit to New York Red Bulls II.
Riley started 57 of 66 appearances for the University of the Pacific from 2015-2018, recording 19 goals and 10 assists from 2015-2018 as the program's all-time leading scorer. His college career was highlighted by NCAA Tournament appearances in each of his last three seasons, with the Tigers going 38-13-6 during that time.
As a senior in 2018, Riley notched a team-best nine goals and five assists and was named a United Soccer Coaches Second Team All-American, the West Coast Conference Player of the Year and a MAC Hermann Trophy Semifinalist.
Born and raised in Dallas, Texas, Riley became a regular starter at Pacific during a 2016 sophomore campaign that yielded four goals, three assists and culminated in West Coast Conference Honorable Mention accolades. He added five goals and two assists the following year, with Pacific posting their second straight 13-4-2 record and falling to eventual national champion Stanford in the second round of the NCAA Tournament for the second consecutive season.
As a junior, Riley was a member of the All-West Coast Conference First Team and landed United Soccer Coaches All-Far West Region recognition. He was also a West Coast Conference All-Academic Team selection in his final two seasons.
While at Pacific, Riley gained Premier Development League experience with Burlingame Dragons FC in 2017 and the Portland Timbers U-23s in 2018. At the youth level, he played for the Dallas Texans in the U.S. Soccer Development Academy and garnered All-District honors at Flower Mound High School.
Midfielder Kamar Marriott and defender Franky Martinez, Sporting's other two picks in the 2019 MLS SuperDraft, are no longer with the club and have pursued other professional opportunities.
For the second straight year, SPR will host USL Championship regular season matches at world-class Children's Mercy Park in Kansas City, Kansas. Single-game tickets for all 17 home fixtures are now on sale at SeatGeek.com, and SPR season tickets are also available by calling 888-4KC-GOAL.
Born: 8/20/1996 (22 years old)
Weight: 175 lbs.
College: University of the Pacific
Hometown: Dallas, Texas
Birthplace: Dallas, Texas
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from February 20, 2019
- Battery, Crew Tie 1-1 - Charleston Battery
- Republic FC's Preseason Friendly Against Reno 1868 FC Moved to Davis Legacy Soccer Club Complex - Sacramento Republic FC
- Memphis 901 FC Nets Two Goals against Defending Champions Louisville City FC - Memphis 901 FC
- San Antonio FC Adds Forward Bradford Jamieson IV on Loan from LA Galaxy - San Antonio FC
- STLFC Preseason Games FAQs - Saint Louis FC
- Rangers Sign Rookie Midfielder Camden Riley - Swope Park Rangers
- Loudoun United FC Host First Scrimmage in Club History Tomorrow - Loudoun United
- Independence Ink Albanian International - Charlotte Independence
- New York Red Bulls II Add Venezuelan Defender Edgardo Rito on Loan - New York Red Bulls II
- Lights FC Announce Final Pre-Season Match - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Atlanta United 2 Signs Laurence Wyke - Atlanta United 2
- North Carolina Football Club to Host First-Ever Friendship Cup International Doubleheader on Saturday, March 23 - North Carolina FC
- Rowdies Sign Forward Juan Tejada - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Memphis 901 FC Single-Match Tickets for March and April Now on Sale - Memphis 901 FC
- Preseason: Week 3 Preview - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Swope Park Rangers Stories
- Rangers to Become Sporting Kansas City II Ahead of 2020 Season
- SPR Signs 16-Year-Old Academy Product Brooks Thompson
- Rangers Sign Rookie Midfielder Camden Riley
- Rangers Add Missouri Native Mark Segbers Ahead of 2019 Season
- Swope Park Rangers Signs Brazilian Midfielder Alexsander on Loan