Battery, Crew Tie 1-1
The Battery kicked off the second day of the Carolina Challenge Cup with a 1-1 draw against former Challenge Cup winners, Columbus Crew.
The cold, rainy weather played a part early in the match as players attempted to find their footing on the slick surface. Both sides took advantage of the conditions by putting pressure on attackers and defenders alike.
Ian Svantesson put the Battery up 1-0 in the 25th minute, his second goal of the tournament. A quick spell of attacking play led to a Battery corner which resulted in the goal. Jared van Schaik's cross found the head of Svantesson, giving the Columbus goalie no chance at making a save.
The Battery came inches from doubling their lead late in the first half thanks to a powerful header from midfielder Vincenzo Candela. Jared van Schaik's chipped ball in from the left side connected with Candela. The header hit the middle of the crossbar before being cleared by the Columbus defence.
The Battery nearly made it to half time unscathed, but a late stoppage time goal from Robinho leveled things up. Columbus Crew attacker Edward Opoku provided the assist with a quick pass across the box which evaded the Battery defense and found Robinho in the middle of the box.
Second half heroics from goalkeeper Joe Kuzminsky and defender Leland Archer preserved the draw for the Battery. A late Crew attack forced a number of saves from Kuzminsky and a critical block on the goal line from Archer.
The result leaves the Battery on one point through two matches with a final game against the Chicago Fire on February 23rd at 7:30 PM.
The 2019 Carolina Challenge Cup wraps up on the 23rd. Visit charlestonbattery.com for more information on Challenge Cup standings and to puchase tickets for the last night of Major League Soccer action here in Chalreston!
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from February 20, 2019
- Battery, Crew Tie 1-1 - Charleston Battery
- Republic FC's Preseason Friendly Against Reno 1868 FC Moved to Davis Legacy Soccer Club Complex - Sacramento Republic FC
- Memphis 901 FC Nets Two Goals against Defending Champions Louisville City FC - Memphis 901 FC
- San Antonio FC Adds Forward Bradford Jamieson IV on Loan from LA Galaxy - San Antonio FC
- STLFC Preseason Games FAQs - Saint Louis FC
- Rangers Sign Rookie Midfielder Camden Riley - Swope Park Rangers
- Loudoun United FC Host First Scrimmage in Club History Tomorrow - Loudoun United
- Independence Ink Albanian International - Charlotte Independence
- New York Red Bulls II Add Venezuelan Defender Edgardo Rito on Loan - New York Red Bulls II
- Lights FC Announce Final Pre-Season Match - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Atlanta United 2 Signs Laurence Wyke - Atlanta United 2
- North Carolina Football Club to Host First-Ever Friendship Cup International Doubleheader on Saturday, March 23 - North Carolina FC
- Rowdies Sign Forward Juan Tejada - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Memphis 901 FC Single-Match Tickets for March and April Now on Sale - Memphis 901 FC
- Preseason: Week 3 Preview - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charleston Battery Stories
- U.S. Open Cup Second Round Pairings Announced
- Van Schaik, Bosua Lead Battery to 3-1 Win over Nashville
- Battery Fall to Bethlehem Steel FC for First Loss of the Season
- Battery Down Independence in Southern Derby Cup Matchup
- Stoppage Time Goal Steals Win from Battery in North Carolina