Rampage Take Down Western Conference-Leading Moose in 4-2 Fashion
SAN ANTONIO ------ Forward Alex Belzile's shorthanded goal in the second period served as the game winner as the San Antonio Rampage (31-25-10-0) defeated the Manitoba Moose (38-19-4-4) 4-2 on Tuesday at the AT&T Center. Netminder Joe Cannata turned away 32 of Manitoba's 34 shot attempts, earning the Third Star of the Game, while forward Andrew Agozzino took home Second-Star honors with a goal and an assist.
Forward Zach Sanford lit the lamp for the first time in a Rampage sweater at 17:55 of the opening period when the center's wrist shot from the blue line snuck by goaltender Jaimie Phillips, marking the third consecutive game that the Silver and Black have opened the scoring.
Agozzino extended his goal streak to three games at 9:10 of the middle frame after the winger cleaned up a loose puck at the goal line for his ninth power-play marker of the season. Belzile made it a three-goal game less than three minutes later after going coast to coast and beating Phillips stick side for a shorthanded tally at the 12:08 mark. Manitoba cut into the Rampage lead at 17:59 when Michael Spacek finished a backdoor pass from Nic Petan for his 14th goal of the season.
The Moose made it a one-goal game early in the final frame after Brody Sutter's shot attempt was deflected out to Buddy Robinson, who sent the puck past Cannata at the 3:38 mark. Manitoba's comeback attempt fell short with 20 seconds remaining in regulation as Nicolas Meloche added an empty-net goal to secure a 4-2 victory for the Silver and Black.
Forwards: Defensemen: Goaltenders:
Sanford-Agozzino-Blais Butler-Meloche Cannata
Greer-Belzile-Joly Geertsen-Graham Brittain
San Antonio travels up Interstate-35 to take on the Texas Stars on Friday, March 23 at 7:30 p.m. at the H-E-B Center at Cedar Park. Season tickets for the 2018-19 campaign are available and can be purchased by calling a Rampage representative at 210-444-5554 or online at SARampage.com. The 2017-18 season is presented by H-E-B and Wells Fargo.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 21, 2018
- Vegas Calls Upon Dansk - Chicago Wolves
- Forward Ejdsell Assigned to Rockford from SHL's HV71 - Rockford IceHogs
- Game #59 Preview: Tucson vs. San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Pesce, Rask to Miss Remainder of the Season - Charlotte Checkers
- Bring Your Dog to the Game this Sunday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Sieloff Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Condors Sign Wells and Vesel to Tryout Deals - Bakersfield Condors
- Roadrunners Recall Army from Wheeling - Tucson Roadrunners
- Devils Sign Defenseman Jagger Dirk to Ato - Binghamton Devils
- Amerks and Perry's Ice Cream Bring Back "Players Pick Perry's" Sweepstakes - Rochester Americans
- O'Brien Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- San Antonio Reassigns Goaltender Sam Brittain to Colorado Eagles - San Antonio Rampage
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Olivier Archambault to AHL Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Monsters & American Cancer Society To Host "Survivor & Volunteers" at The Q Thursday - Cleveland Monsters
- Barracuda Shutout 4-0 in Tucson - San Jose Barracuda
- Well-Rounded Roadrunners Blank Barracuda 4-0 Tuesday Night - Tucson Roadrunners
- Griffins Hold on to Edge Admirals, 2-1 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Drop 2-1 Decision to Grand Rapids - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Take Down Western Conference-Leading Moose in 4-2 Fashion - San Antonio Rampage
- Moose Finish Trip with 4-2 Loss at San Antonio - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Rampage Stories
- Jake Walman Named Rampage 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty Man of the Year
- Admirals Top Rampage with Third Period Outburst
- Ingram Leads Admirals to Shutout Win over Rampage
- Stars Defeat Chimuelos on Late Robertson Goal
- Comeback Effort Falls Short against Grand Rapids