Rampage sign Lee Sweatt to amateur tryout
SAN ANTONIO (Mar. 22, 2007) - The San Antonio Rampage, the primary affiliate of the Phoenix Coyotes, announced today that they have signed free agent defenseman Lee Sweatt to an amateur tryout (ATO).
Sweatt recently completed his four-year collegiate career with Colorado College of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA). Sweatt, a co-captain of the CC Tigers, was the recipient of the WCHA's Most Outstanding Student-Athlete of the Year Award for 2006-07. The 5-foot-9, 202-pound Sweatt was also voted to the All-WCHA Third Team after leading all Tiger defensemen, and finishing fourth on the team, with 24 points (nine goals, 15 assists) this season. He also finished his senior campaign with a career-high nine goals.
Finishing with a 3.8 grade-point average in mathematical economics, the 21-year-old was also a WCHA Scholar Athlete for the second time and a member of the All-WCHA Academic Team for the third time this season.
In his collegiate career, the Elburn, Illinois native played in all but six games (157) and posted 89 points (21 goals, 68 assists). Being one of four WCHA Scholar Athletes on the CC roster during the 2005-06 season, the junior defenseman was one of 11 Tigers named All-WCHA Academic Team and co-recipient of CC's annual Paul Markovich Award as the team's top student. Sweatt had his best season as a sophomore leading all CC blue-liners with 25 assists and registering 28 points in 42 games. In 2003-04, he finished as the school's highest scoring freshman with 16 points (4 goals, 12 assists) in 39 games.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 22, 2007
- River Rats to play four games in 2007-08 in Glens Falls - Albany River Rats
- Pihlman Recalled by New Jersey - Albany Devils
- Gauthier Returns To Manchester - Manchester Monarchs
- Jiri Fischer, Star Wars Highlight Rivalry Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Knights Hire New Director Of Sales - Abbotsford Heat
- Blackhawks sign left winger Jack Skille - Norfolk Admirals
- Rampage sign Lee Sweatt to amateur tryout - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Announce Details of April 7 Turning Stone Fan Appreciation Night - Syracuse Crunch
- Moose Going Multi-Cultural Saturday Night vs. Griffins - Manitoba Moose
- Bahensky heads back to Charlotte - Connecticut Whale
- Crunch Announce Details of Wise Foods Nights at the Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Marlies to hold second annual used hockey equipment sale at Ricoh - Toronto Marlies
- Griffins Welcome Back Ellis and Bootland - Grand Rapids Griffins
- AHL relaunches official on-line store - AHL
- Brodziak returns to Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Admirals Sign Three to Amateur Tryouts - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.