Railroaders Drop Opener in Gary
GARY, Indiana - Blake Grant-Parks hit a solo homer and drove in his 12th run over the last eight games, but Cleburne couldn't find anything more in a 3-1 loss to the Gary SouthShore RailCats at U.S. Steel Yard on Tuesday night.
Grant-Parks's opposite-field shot was Cleburne's (12-18) first hit off of Gary starter Daniel Minor with two outs in the 3rd inning. Grant-Parks now has 14 RBI in 2018 - just four behind team leader Patrick Palmeiro.
All of the Gary (16-13) scoring came in the first inning, after Alex Crosby started the rally with a ground ball that deflected off of first base and over Levi Scott's head for a double. He scored on an Andy De Jesus single, and Collin Willis later doubled him in. Willis scored the third run of the inning on a wild pitch.
Cleburne starter Jared Mortensen gave up three runs on seven hits with three walks and five strikeouts over 5.2 innings, totaling 108 pitches - his fifth consecutive start with 100-plus pitches.
Will Mathis turned in 1.1 scoreless innings, while Josh Hodges pitched a scoreless 8th inning.
The Railroaders finished with just five hits - Patrick Palmeiro collected a single and a double and Levi Scott and K.C. Huth both finished with singles. The Railroaders brought the tying run to the plate after Palmeiro's one-out double in the 9th, but Rafael Palmeiro flew out and Scott struck out to end the game.
Cleburne is now 6-4 against the North Division but just 3-8 away from The Depot.
The Railroaders and RailCats continue their three-game series on Wednesday afternoon at U.S. Steel Yard. First pitch time is set for 12:10 p.m. and it'll be RHP Dylan Mouzakes against LHP Alex Gunn.
Cleburne returns home to open a seven-game homestand against the Sioux Falls Canaries on Tuesday, June 26. It will be another Two-For-Tuesday night at The Depot, and you can snag two tickets, two fountain drinks, two hot dogs and a gameday guide for $22. Tickets are available at www.railroaderbaseball.com or by calling (817) 945-8705.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 20, 2018
- Wingnuts Win Fifth Straight, Clinch Series - Wichita Wingnuts
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Dogs Come up Short in Ninth, Lose to Texas 4-3 - Chicago Dogs
- Tamburino and Medina Each Pitch Gems as Saltdogs and Saints Split Doubleheader - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Gem by Rosario Fuels AirHogs Win in Chicago - Texas AirHogs
- Medina Tosses 3-Hit Complete Game Shutout, Gould Career High Four RBI, Saints Blank Saltdogs 6-0 in Game 2 of Doubleheader - St. Paul Saints
- Saints Can't Hold Four Run Lead, Lose 5-4 to Saltdogs in Game One of Doubleheader - St. Paul Saints
- Explorers and RedHawks Game Postponed Due to Rain - Sioux City Explorers
- 'Cats Bats Explode in 8-1 Win over Railroaders - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Next Homestand Is for Animal Lovers as Goats and Raccoons Steal the Show from June 21-27 - St. Paul Saints
- Railroaders Drop Opener in Gary - Cleburne Railroaders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.