Wingnuts Win Fifth Straight, Clinch Series
WICHITA, Kan. - A pair of RBI from Logan Watkins and Zach Nehrir powered the Wichita Wingnuts to a 6-3 come-from-behind win over the Sioux Falls Canaries on Wednesday night at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium.
The Canaries (11-19) started the ballgame with three consecutive singles off Wingnuts starter Jordan Cooper (3-3). Chris Grayson capped the trio of hits with an RBI single to put Sioux Falls in front 1-0. It did not take long for the Wingnuts to respond, however, as Leo Vargas evened the score at 1-1 with an RBI single of his own in the second that plated Tony Thomas.
Cooper allowed a pair of runs in the fifth that put Sioux Falls back in front 3-1, with Jordan Smith and Grayson notching the RBIs. The Wingnuts (19-12) then exploded in the bottom of the fifth against Canaries starter Joe Bircher (3-4), pushing across three runs to take a 4-3 lead. Watkins had the big hit in the inning, a two-run triple to the right-center field gap that tied the game; Watkins then scored easily on Nehrir's long sacrifice fly to put Wichita in front.
The Wingnuts got two insurance runs in the bottom of the seventh, as Nehrir doubled home Watkins and then came around to score himself on a line drive single off the bat of Fernando Perez. Wichita's bullpen was outstanding for the second consecutive evening, this time tossing three scoreless innings to secure the win. John Hayes worked a shutout seventh in his Lawrence-Dumont debut, Brady Bowen struck out the side in the eighth, and Mark Haynes wrapped up his first save of the season with a scoreless ninth inning to complete the victory.
Cooper picked up the win with six strong innings, allowing eight hits and three runs, two of which were earned. The righty struck out six while walking just one.
The Wingnuts and Canaries conclude their series on Thursday evening. Wichita will start left-hander Casey Harman (3-1, 2.43), while Sioux Falls will counter with righty Dylan Thompson (3-2, 4.54). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM, and will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 20, 2018
- Wingnuts Win Fifth Straight, Clinch Series - Wichita Wingnuts
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Dogs Come up Short in Ninth, Lose to Texas 4-3 - Chicago Dogs
- Tamburino and Medina Each Pitch Gems as Saltdogs and Saints Split Doubleheader - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Gem by Rosario Fuels AirHogs Win in Chicago - Texas AirHogs
- Medina Tosses 3-Hit Complete Game Shutout, Gould Career High Four RBI, Saints Blank Saltdogs 6-0 in Game 2 of Doubleheader - St. Paul Saints
- Saints Can't Hold Four Run Lead, Lose 5-4 to Saltdogs in Game One of Doubleheader - St. Paul Saints
- Explorers and RedHawks Game Postponed Due to Rain - Sioux City Explorers
- 'Cats Bats Explode in 8-1 Win over Railroaders - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Next Homestand Is for Animal Lovers as Goats and Raccoons Steal the Show from June 21-27 - St. Paul Saints
- Railroaders Drop Opener in Gary - Cleburne Railroaders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.