RailRiders Advance to Governor's Cup
ALLENTOWN, PA - The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders topped the Lehigh Valley IronPigs 7-2 in 10 innings to advance to the International League Governor's Cup Championship Series. A grand slam by Bruce Caldwell in the top of the tenth pushed the RailRiders ahead to clinch their semifinal series against Lehigh Valley, the IL North Champion, three wins to one loss.
The RailRiders took a 1-0 lead in the third against Ranger Suarez. The right-hander allowed a leadoff single to Francisco Diaz and hit Mark Payton with a pitch. A wild pitch advanced both into scoring position and a Giovanny Urshela groundout plated Diaz for a 1-0 Scranton/Wilkes-Barre edge.
Mike King made the lead stick over the first four innings. After allowing back-to-back base hits in the first, the right-hander retired 12 straight, including five consecutive batters on strikeouts between the fourth and fifth. Lehigh Valley, however, tied the game on an error and two singles in the bottom of the fifth.
In the sixth, Danny Ortiz lined an 0-1 pitch from King over the high wall in right to give the IronPigs a 2-1 lead.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre tied the game in the top of the ninth with two outs, Shane Robinson reached on an infield single and Quintin Berry scored from second to even the score at two and pin a blown save on Pedro Beato.
The RailRiders loaded the bases in the top of the tenth. Payton scored on an infield groundout by Ryan McBroom to give Scranton/Wilkes-Barre a 3-2 advantage. With two down and the bases loaded again, Caldwell lined a 1-0 pitch from Tom Windle over the right field wall to seal the deal.
Raynel Espinal (1-0) worked 2.1 innings for the win while Ranfi Casimiro (1-1) was charged with four of the five runs in the tenth in the loss.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre moves on to face the Durham Bulls in the International League Governor's Cup finals, which are slated to begin on Tuesday, September 11, at PNC Field. Tickets are on sale now at swbrailriders.com.
IL Governor's Cup Semifinals
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre wins series 3-1
Images from this story
Bruce Caldwell of the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders swings away
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 8, 2018
- RailRiders Advance to Governor's Cup - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Hens' Late Rally Falls Short as Bulls Advance - Toledo Mud Hens
- Pigs See Season End in Extras - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bulls Beat Toledo to Return to Governors' Cup Finals - Durham Bulls
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Saturday, September 8, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes- - IL Semifinals Game Four - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- RailRiders Stop PawSox
- SWB Game Notes
- Pair of three-run home runs lead RailRiders to victory over Pawtucket
- Logan Morrison goes 3-for-5 with two homers and a double in losing effort
- SWB Partnering with GovX for Military Discounts