Bulls Beat Toledo to Return to Governors' Cup Finals
DURHAM, NC - The Durham Bulls defeated the Toledo Mud Hens 3-2 on Saturday night, winning the best-of-five series 3-1 and advancing to their second straight Governors' Cup Finals.
The Bulls (3-1) scored first in the third inning with an RBI single by Jason Coats scoring Rob Refsnyder and giving the home team a 1-0 lead. Toledo answered back quickly in the fourth frame with a single to left by Harold Castro that scored Daz Cameron to even the game 1-1.
The score remained tied until the sixth inning when Brandon Snyder hit a single to left scoring Coats and putting the Bulls in front 2-1. Nate Lowe followed with a sacrifice fly extending the lead to 3-1. The Mud Hens (1-3) scratched across a run in the seventh inning with a single by Chad Huffman cutting the lead to 3-2.
Ruben Alaniz (W, 1-0) tossed 2.0 scoreless innings, with one walk and two strikeouts to secure his first win of the postseason. Jordan Harrison allowed one run on two hits but worked his way out of a two-runners on jam in the seventh with a 4-6-3 double play from Jason Krizan.
Kyle Bird, (S, 1) entered in the eighth inning, and worked around a hit, walk and hit batter to earn the save and send the Bulls to their fourth Governors' Cup Finals in the last six seasons. Snyder finished with two hits including the game-winning RBI.
The Bulls await the winners of the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and Lehigh Valley series that entered the day with a 2-1 advantage for the RailRiders. The Governors' Cup Finals begin on Tuesday, September 11 on the road. Games 3, 4 (if necessary) and 5 are scheduled to be played at the DBAP on September 13-15.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 8, 2018
- RailRiders Advance to Governor's Cup - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Hens' Late Rally Falls Short as Bulls Advance - Toledo Mud Hens
- Pigs See Season End in Extras - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bulls Beat Toledo to Return to Governors' Cup Finals - Durham Bulls
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Saturday, September 8, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes- - IL Semifinals Game Four - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.