Pigs See Season End in Extras
Lehigh Valley saw their season come to an end on Saturday night, as the Pigs were eliminated from the postseason three games-to-one by the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders. The Riders took game four by a 7-2 final.
The game took ten innings, but the RailRiders were able to push ahead for good with five runs in the extra inning, a majority on a grand slam by Bruce Caldwell.
It was the third consecutive postseason that Lehigh Valley was eliminated by Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in the first round of the postseason.
Just like the first three games of the series, this contest started with a tight pitcher's duel. Ranger Suarez allowed the first run of the game in the third inning on a soft single, a hit-by-pitch, a wild pitch and finally a groundout. Suarez recovered from that hiccup and allowed only one more base hit across the rest of his night.
After being dominated by Michael King through the first few innings, the Pigs were gifted a rally, following a soft grounder by Zach Green that ricocheted off second base to allow the runner on, Logan Moore and Jesmuel Valentin strung together singles to bring the tying run home.
An inning later, Danny Ortiz put the IronPigs on top for good. The left fielder slugged a solo home run over the right field wall to make it 2-1.
After the bullpen logged scoreless frames, Pedro Beato found himself one out away from the win, but a close infield single allowed a tying runner from second base to score and send the game to extras.
With the 2018 campaign now closed, the Pigs and fans can turn their attention to the 2019 season at Coca-Cola Park. Lehigh Valley will welcome the Rochester Red Wings on April 4th as the Pigs open the year with a seven-game homestand.
The 2018 Season was the IronPigs' 11th season at Coca-Cola Park and 11th as the top affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies. Fans can get closer to the team than ever before with a Bacon, USA membership -- a year-round IronPigs experience pass featuring numerous amenities such as savings on parking at games and at the Majestic Clubhouse Store at Coca-Cola Park, on-field VIP access to watch batting practice, access to the annual holiday party, and more. For more information, go to IronPigsBaseball.com or call (610) 841-PIGS (7447).
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 8, 2018
- RailRiders Advance to Governor's Cup - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Hens' Late Rally Falls Short as Bulls Advance - Toledo Mud Hens
- Pigs See Season End in Extras - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bulls Beat Toledo to Return to Governors' Cup Finals - Durham Bulls
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Saturday, September 8, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes- - IL Semifinals Game Four - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lehigh Valley IronPigs Stories
- Meet Paw Patrol's Chase During IronPigs' 2019 Nickelodeon Day
- Pigs Announce November 16 Intern Hiring Fair
- 2018 IronPigs Season-In-Review
- #LVWantsLeBron Wins Two Golden Bobblehead Awards
- Inaugural Suites N Treats Preview & Costume Party Scheduled October 24