RailCats 9th Inning Rally Not Enough in 4-3 Defeat
GARY, Ind. - Gary scored twice in the bottom of the ninth and had the tying run reach first base with two outs after Reggie Wilson reached base for the fourth time of the night with a walk, however, D.K. Carey flew out to right to end the game as the 'Cats fell to the Lincoln Saltdogs, 4-3, in the series opener. Despite Monday's loss Gary remains ahead of the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks for first place in the North Division.
Lincoln (34-39) took a 2-0 lead on Ivan Marin's two-out, two-run single in the top of the fifth for the first runs of the game. Curt Smith, T.J. Bennett and Daskenko Ricardo singled earlier in the inning before Marin delivered the first runs.
Gary (42-30) cut the Lincoln lead in half on Carey's RBI single down the first base line in the bottom of the fifth. Wilson was hit in the arm with one out, advanced to second on a wild pitch before scoring on Carey's RBI bloop single.
The Saltdogs took their biggest lead of the game with two runs in the top of the ninth. Cesar Valera made it 3-1 with an RBI single before Christian Ibarra increased the Lincoln to three with an RBI single of his own. The 'Cats trimmed the Lincoln lead to one on back-to-back sacrifice flies from Randy Santiesteban and Cole Fabio, however, couldn't score one more time to force extras.
Jeff McKenzie (4-8) was charged with the loss despite allowing just two runs over seven innings. The southpaw was perfect through four, yielded only seven hits, walked two and matched a career-high with seven strikeouts. Kyle Kinman (5-2) recorded with win after allowing just one run over six innings while Jose Jose (10) secured the win with the save despite allowing two runs in the bottom of the ninth.
Gary resumes their six-game homestand and three-game series vs. the Lincoln Saltdogs on Tuesday night at 7:10 p.m. RailCats RHP Gabe Perez (4-1, 3.86) opposes Saltdogs RHP Austin Robichaux (2-6, 4.79) in the middle game of the series. Tuesday's game is another CHN Tuesday and Taco Tuesday, featuring $2.00 beef tacos and $5.00 margaritas (21 and older).
Jared Shlensky and Brennan Mense bring you all 100 RailCats game this season on WEFM (95.9 FM) and online at railcatsbaseball.com. Ticket packages for the 2018 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 7, 2018
- Lambson Stellar Again as Goldeyes Top Cleburne - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Two-Out Runs Cost Saints in 7-5 Loss to Canaries - St. Paul Saints
- Railroaders Fall to Goldeyes in Game 2 - Cleburne Railroaders
- KC Wrestles with the Hogs, But T-Bones Triumph - Kansas City T-Bones
- It's Going to be An Animal House at CHS Field During the August 9-18 Homestand - St. Paul Saints
- Defense Helps Saltdogs to 4-3 Win in Gary - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Colwell and RedHawks Take Game One from Dogs - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Wichita Leaves X's Stranded in Series Opener - Sioux City Explorers
- AirHogs Open Kansas City Series with Close Loss - Texas AirHogs
- Bullpen Shines as Wichita Knocks off X's - Wichita Wingnuts
- Dogs Lose See-Saw Affair 4-3 in First Ever Game in Fargo - Chicago Dogs
- Birds Drop Series Opener to Saints After Rough First Inning - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- RailCats 9th Inning Rally Not Enough in 4-3 Defeat - Gary SouthShore Railcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- RailCats' Lyter Promoted, Flenner Named New General Manager
- RailCats Acquire OF Price Jr., RHP Pastora
- RailCats Season Ends with 1-0 Shutout in Game 4 of North Division Series
- Magical McKenzie Blanks Saints to Force Game 4 of North Division Series
- Saints 5-Run Fourth Sinks RailCats in Game 2 of North Division Series