Quakes Fall Short in Bako on Sunday
Bakersfield, CA - The Bakersfield Blaze avoided a four-game sweep on Sunday afternoon, cracking a pair of two-run homers to snap a sixth-inning tie, as they ended Rancho's three-game winning streak with a 7-2 victory over the Quakes at Sam Lynn Ballpark.
Tyler Marlette connected for two home runs, including a two-run blast that put the Blaze ahead to stay against Victor Araujo in the sixth. Araujo (0-1) surrendered another two-run shot just two batters later, as Burt Reynolds took him deep to make it 6-2.
The Quakes loaded the bases with two outs in the eighth, but Tyler Ogle struck out looking to end the would-be rally, leaving the tying run at the plate.
Bakersfield added another insurance run in the last of the eighth off of A.J. Vanegas, capping the scoring on a Justin Seager RBI double to make it 7-2.
Rancho actually had a two-run advantage in the early going, as Cody Bellinger and Rob Garvey each had an RBI hit, putting Rancho up 2-0 after two.
Quakes' starter Scott Barlow had a solid debut, as he allowed a pair of runs on just three hits over five innings in a no-decision.
Bakersfield reliever Emilio Pagan (1-1) notched the win with two scoreless innings of relief.
The Quakes (3-1) will head to San Bernardino on Monday, continuing their opening road trip of the year. Michael Johnson (0-0) will make his first start against 66ers' right-hander Jordan Kipper at 7:05pm.
After the Inland Empire series, the Quakes will return to LoanMart Field for their home opener on Thursday, April 16th at 7:05pm. Opening Night at LoanMart Field will feature a post-game Fireworks Display, thanks to Boston's in Rancho Cucamonga. Thursday will also be a Thirsty Thursday, featuring $2 Pepsi products, $3 domestic drafts and $4 premium drafts, wine, champagne and margaritas. In addition, fans will take home a 2015 Magnet Schedule, thanks to Allstar KIA. Tickets are available at (909) 481-5000 or online at rcquakes.com. We hope to see you very soon at LoanMart Field...Go Quakes!
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from April 12, 2015
- Ports Squander Chances in 5-2 Loss at 66ers - Stockton Ports
- Giants Fall 2-1, Split Opening Series in Lancaster - San Jose Giants
- Morales Sends 'Hawks to Win with Walk-Off Hit - Lancaster JetHawks
- Nuts Make It Interesting Late in 6-4 Loss - Modesto Nuts
- Marlette Slugs Blaze to 7-2 Win - Bakersfield Blaze
- Quakes Fall Short in Bako on Sunday - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Stockton Left Stranded in 6-2 Loss to 66ers - Stockton Ports
- Rancho Rolls to 3-0 with Another Win over Blaze - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Giants Take Second Straight from JetHawks, 8-3 - San Jose Giants
- Blaze Bats Go Cold in 4-1 Defeat - Bakersfield Blaze
- JetHawks Drop Second Straight to Giants - Lancaster JetHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.