Blaze Bats Go Cold in 4-1 Defeat
The Blaze of Bakersfield got another nice pitching performance out of the gate, but the bats continued to struggle as Rancho Cucamonga sent the Blaze to the club's third straight defeat and to 0-3 on the early 2015 campaign.
Dan Altavilla (L, 0-1), another of the young Mariners pitching prospects, looked solid in his California League debut despite taking the loss. After allowing a run on a pair of hits in the 2nd inning, Dan settled in, at one point retiring eight straight Quakes batters.
The 6th inning proved to be the difference in the game. Altavilla, nearing his pitch count, retired the first two batters of the inning before issuing a two-out walk to end his night. Brett Ash was called upon from the pen but was greeted rudely by red-hot Jarek Cunningham. On a 3-and-1 count, Cunningham golfed a fastball out, putting Rancho ahead for good, 3-1.
The Blaze threatened with a baserunner in three of the final four innings on this Philip Guiry tribute Saturday night, but couldn't advance them past second base.
For Rancho, Zach Bird (W, 1-0) got the start, and looked shaky out of the gate. Ian Miller singled for Bakersfield to begin the game, stole second and came home two batters later on a Tyler O'Neill sacrifice fly to give Bakersfield the early 1-0 lead. Bird isued walks in two of the next three innings, but found a rhythm late in his start as well.
Rob Rogers followed with two scoreless frames, and Jacob Rhame (S, 1) pitched the 8th and 9th for the Quakes to collect his first save of the season.
Rafael Pineda worked a 1-2-3 9th inning for the Blaze.
The Blaze will quest for the season's first win on Sunday as Bakersfield and Rancho Cucamonga do battle in a series finale day-game at Sam Lynn Ballpark.
First pitch is scheduled for high noon, as Scott Barlow takes the hill for the Quakes and the Blaze counter with Carlos Misell. Each will make their season debut.
Thinking about attending? Bring the youngsters, as all kids are invited to run the bases on the actual field after the ballgame.
Can't come out? Fear not. Dan Besbris has the call live at BakersfieldBlaze.com and via TuneIn Radio. The pregame show begins at 11:55am.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from April 12, 2015
- Ports Squander Chances in 5-2 Loss at 66ers - Stockton Ports
- Giants Fall 2-1, Split Opening Series in Lancaster - San Jose Giants
- Morales Sends 'Hawks to Win with Walk-Off Hit - Lancaster JetHawks
- Nuts Make It Interesting Late in 6-4 Loss - Modesto Nuts
- Marlette Slugs Blaze to 7-2 Win - Bakersfield Blaze
- Quakes Fall Short in Bako on Sunday - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Stockton Left Stranded in 6-2 Loss to 66ers - Stockton Ports
- Rancho Rolls to 3-0 with Another Win over Blaze - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Giants Take Second Straight from JetHawks, 8-3 - San Jose Giants
- Blaze Bats Go Cold in 4-1 Defeat - Bakersfield Blaze
- JetHawks Drop Second Straight to Giants - Lancaster JetHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.