Morales Sends 'Hawks to Win with Walk-Off Hit
LANCASTER, Calif. - Looking to rebound from a two-game skid, the JetHawks made the most of a bases-loaded threat in the ninth inning when Jobduan Morales drove home the winning run to defeat the San Jose Giants, 2-1, Sunday afternoon at The Hangar.
Reliever Mason McVay (0-1) remained in the game for the Giants (2-2) to begin the ninth after recording the final out of the eighth. He yielded a leadoff single to Chase McDonald, representing the winning run.
Brett Phillips pinch-ran for McDonald who led off with a single against left-hander Mason McVay (0-1). After a pair of walks loaded the bases, Morales lined a two-out single to right field to score Phillips and give the JetHawks (2-2) their second win of the season.
Frederick Tiburcio (1-0) received the win after stranding two inherited runners and striking out two batters with the bases loaded in the top of the ninth.
The JetHawks posed a bases-loaded, one-out threat in the bottom of the sixth, but a fielder's choice and a flyout ended the bid and kept the game tied.
Lancaster starter Troy Scribner allowed the Giants to open the scoring in the second inning on a Ryder Jones sacrifice fly.
Scribner went on to pitch effectively in his high-A debut, however, recording eight strikeouts over six innings and walking just one batter.
His San Jose counterpart D.J. Snelten went five strong innings, allowing one run on four hits and one walk, while striking out four. A Fernandez sacrifice fly accounted for Snelten's lone run allowed.
The JetHawks will open a three-games series against the Stockton Ports at The Hangar Monday at 6:30 p.m. Adrian Houser will start for the JetHawks and the Ports will counter with Lou Trivino. The JetHawks are teaming up with Cherished High Desert for the season's first Make-A-Difference Monday presented by Time Warner Cable News. Fans who donate a non-perishable food item will receive two-for-one tickets.
Don't miss a moment of exciting JetHawks action as they look to defend their 2014 California League title. Season tickets and other great ticket packages are on sale now. To order, call (661) 726-5400, or visit jethawks.com.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from April 12, 2015
- Ports Squander Chances in 5-2 Loss at 66ers - Stockton Ports
- Giants Fall 2-1, Split Opening Series in Lancaster - San Jose Giants
- Morales Sends 'Hawks to Win with Walk-Off Hit - Lancaster JetHawks
- Nuts Make It Interesting Late in 6-4 Loss - Modesto Nuts
- Marlette Slugs Blaze to 7-2 Win - Bakersfield Blaze
- Quakes Fall Short in Bako on Sunday - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Stockton Left Stranded in 6-2 Loss to 66ers - Stockton Ports
- Rancho Rolls to 3-0 with Another Win over Blaze - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Giants Take Second Straight from JetHawks, 8-3 - San Jose Giants
- Blaze Bats Go Cold in 4-1 Defeat - Bakersfield Blaze
- JetHawks Drop Second Straight to Giants - Lancaster JetHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.