JetHawks Drop Second Straight to Giants
LANCASTER, Calif. - After trading blows the first two games of the season, the San Jose Giants took the upper hand with an 8-3 win over the JetHawks Saturday at The Hangar.
In the first inning, the Giants (2-1) took advantage of a leadoff double and a fielding error by second baseman Jose Fernandez, as Tyler Horan brought both runners home on a three-run homer to right field.
In the fourth, San Jose's Christian Arroyo knocked a two-RBI double, and Austin Slater added an RBI single to extend the Giants' lead to 6-0.
Evan Grills (0-1) bore the brunt of the damage, allowing six runs (five earned), eight hits and a walk over just 3 1-3 innings of work.
The JetHawks (1-2) made progress against San Jose starter Keury Mella in the bottom of the fourth, when Ronnie Mitchell's RBI double gave Lancaster its first run of the evening.
But Mella set the tone for the rest of the Giants' pitching staff, leading the way with seven strikeouts, walking none and allowing just one run on five hits in four innings of work.
Ben Turner and Jesus Galindo contributed a pair of RBI singles in the fifth to give the Giants a seven-run lead.
The JetHawks' James Ramsay managed an RBI single against Giants' reliever Christian Jones (1-0) in the fifth, but the only other run Lancaster could produce came on an eighth-inning RBI double by J.D. Davis.
Three Giants relievers-Jones, Jeff Soptic and Mason McVay combined for eight strikeouts, allowing just two runs on five hits and a walk and handing the JetHawks their second loss of the season.
The JetHawks will face the Giants at The Hangar for the final time of the season Sunday, with first pitch scheduled for 2 p.m.
Don't miss a moment of exciting JetHawks action as they look to defend their 2014 California League title. Season tickets and other great ticket packages are on sale now. To order, call (661) 726-5400, or visit jethawks.com.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from April 12, 2015
- Ports Squander Chances in 5-2 Loss at 66ers - Stockton Ports
- Giants Fall 2-1, Split Opening Series in Lancaster - San Jose Giants
- Morales Sends 'Hawks to Win with Walk-Off Hit - Lancaster JetHawks
- Nuts Make It Interesting Late in 6-4 Loss - Modesto Nuts
- Marlette Slugs Blaze to 7-2 Win - Bakersfield Blaze
- Quakes Fall Short in Bako on Sunday - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Stockton Left Stranded in 6-2 Loss to 66ers - Stockton Ports
- Rancho Rolls to 3-0 with Another Win over Blaze - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Giants Take Second Straight from JetHawks, 8-3 - San Jose Giants
- Blaze Bats Go Cold in 4-1 Defeat - Bakersfield Blaze
- JetHawks Drop Second Straight to Giants - Lancaster JetHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.