Preview: Firebirds Continue 6-Game Road Trip in Hamilton Saturday Afternoon
Hamilton, Ont. - The Firebirds will play their third of a six-game road trip Saturday afternoon when the club faces-off against the Hamilton Bulldogs. Puck drop is set for 4 p.m. (ET) at the FirstOntario Centre (capacity 17,383).
Seven Flint Firebirds have ties to Hamilton. Three Flint skaters suited up for the Bulldogs before being acquired by Flint: Fedor Gordeev, Riley McCourt and Connor Roberts. Jake Durham was a seventh-round pick in the 2015 OHL Draft by Hamilton but was signed as a free agent by the Firebirds. Jack Phibbs (Hagersville), Jack Wismer (Stoney Creek) and assistant coach Garrett Rutledge (Waterdown) all reside within 30 miles (or 52 kilometers) from the FirstOntario Centre.
Saturday marks the first of two meetings between the clubs, and the only contest in Hamilton. The two teams typically play each other close. Last season, Flint and Hamilton the series with both games being decided by a single goal and one of the two requiring overtime. Both contests in the 2016-17 season were also decided by a single goal, with one requiring a shootout. In six total meetings between the Firebirds and the Bulldogs, five were decided by a single goal and the sixth was decided by two scores. In net, Evan Morrison is expected to get his first-career start in the Ontario Hockey League (OHL). Morrison made nine saves on 13 shots in one pre-season appearance with the Firebirds this year.
Saturday afternoon's contest can be heard live on the radio throughout Flint & Mid-Michigan on US 103.1 FM, online at www.us103.com or by downloading the US 103 app here. Dominic Hennig will call the play-by-play action with pre-game coverage beginning 30 minutes prior to puck drop at 3:30 p.m.
The game will be televised live in Hamilton on Channel 14 / 814 (HD) for both Rogers TV & Cogeco TV cable subscribers. Across the province of Ontario, the contest will be aired on the OHL Action Pak on channel 446 for both Rogers TV and Cogeco TV cable subscribers. OHL fans with cable television in Ontario can add the OHL Action Pak to their television plan to catch the Firebirds in action, home or away all season long. Along with Saturday's game, 65 of the Firebirds' 68 games throughout the 2018-19 season are also scheduled to be televised live across the province of Ontario on the OHL Action Pak.
All Flint Firebirds home and away games throughout the 2018-19 season can be watched anywhere in the world online on www.ohllive.com or on the OHL Live app. OHL Live is a league video streaming platform that delivers high quality live and on-demand coverage of all regular season and playoff games annually. The cost is $6.99 per game, $69.99 for Flint Firebirds away games only, $179.99 for all 68 home and away Firebirds games and $279.99 for all 1,360 OHL games throughout the 2018-19 season.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from December 8, 2018
- 'Dogs, Troops Extend Streaks - North Bay Battalion
- Rookies Cardwell, Lennox Steal the Show in Erie, Spirit Win 5-3 - Saginaw Spirit
- IceDogs Defeat Battalion 5-2 on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Niagara IceDogs
- Bears Snap Knights Win Streak with 5-1 Victory - Owen Sound Attack
- Bulldogs Battle to Beat Flint 4-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Otters Fall 5-3 to Saginaw at Home - Erie Otters
- Kingston Pulls away Late - Sarnia Sting
- 67's Win the (Alexandra) Cup with Victory over Gatineau - Ottawa 67's
- Preview: Spirit, Otters Meet Friday Night in Erie - Saginaw Spirit
- Preview: Firebirds Continue 6-Game Road Trip in Hamilton Saturday Afternoon - Flint Firebirds
- Knights Win 15th Straight - London Knights
- Hounds Hold off Late Storm Surge - Soo Greyhounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Firebirds Stories
- Preview: Firebirds Continue 6-Game Road Trip in Hamilton Saturday Afternoon
- Dellandrea Invited to Canada's World Junior Selection Camp
- Tonight: Firebirds' 4th Annual Teddy Bear Toss Game
- 4th-Annual Teddy Bear Toss this Saturday
- Vella, Firebirds Post 3-1 Victory over Windsor Friday Night