Pozuelo Named Finalist for MLS Newcomer of the Year
Toronto FC midfielder Alejandro Pozuelo has been named as a finalist for the 2019 Major League Soccer Newcomer of the Year award, MLS announced Monday. The Newcomer of the Year is awarded to a player with previous professional experience who made his MLS debut this season.
Pozuelo, 28, was signed by the Reds on March 4 as a Designated Player. He appeared in 30 league matches in 2019, registering a club-leading 12 goals and 12 assists. He was named to the 2019 MLS All-Star Game where he earned a starting role against Atlético Madrid. In addition, he was named MLS Player of the Week for Week 8 and was named to the MLS Team of the Week five times. Pozuelo made his MLS debut on March 29 against New York City FC, scoring two goals and adding an assist in a 4-0 victory for the Reds.
Joining Pozuelo are Carles Gil (New England) and Héber (New York City FC) as finalists. The MLS will announce the winner on Wednesday, October 16.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 14, 2019
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: October 14, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers, Thorns FC Name Collin Romer Vice President of Communications - Portland Timbers
- Four LAFC Members Named Finalists for MLS End-Of-Year Awards - Los Angeles FC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Exercises 2020 Contract Options for Micheal Azira, Jeremiah Gutjahr and Fabian Herbers - Chicago Fire
- LAFC Launches 'For Los Angeles' as Team Prepares for Playoffs - Los Angeles FC
- Union Players and Coach Named Finalists for MLS End of Year Awards - Philadelphia Union
- Morris Named as One of Three Finalists for 2019 MLS Comeback Player of the Year - Seattle Sounders FC
- Pozuelo Named Finalist for MLS Newcomer of the Year - Toronto FC
- Luis Robles Named a Finalist for MLS WORKS Humanitarian of the Year - New York Red Bulls
- Revolution Midfielder Carles Gil Voted a Finalist for 2019 MLS Newcomer of the Year Award - New England Revolution
- Loons Featured as Finalists for MLS Year-End Awards - Minnesota United FC
- Finalists Announced for 2019 Year-End Awards - MLS
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: October 14, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- LAFC Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA Sports - Los Angeles FC
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS - MLS
- "Spend to Save" at FC Cincinnati Shop this week - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Toronto FC Stories
- Nashville SC (1) - Toronto FC (0) Post Match Summary
- Toronto FC, MLSE Foundation and Black Players for Change Announce Community Partnership Ahead of 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs
- Pozuelo Named to 2020 MLS Best XI
- Toronto FC Announce Academy Mentorship Program
- New York Red Bulls (2) - Toronto FC (1) Post Match Summary