Luis Robles Named a Finalist for MLS WORKS Humanitarian of the Year
HARRISON, N.J. - New York Red Bulls goalkeeper Luis Robles has been named one of three finalists for the MLS WORKS Humanitarian of the Year award, MLS announced today. Finalists were announced today after voting ended last week.
In 2019 Robles continued to expand on his humanitarian efforts. In addition to monthly hospital visits and personal donations, Robles and his wife, Cara, host an annual Gala in conjunction with Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH), with all proceeds going to Tackle Kids Cancer.
This season, Robles also connected with several families of children with serious illnesses, hosting them at Red Bulls Training Facility and Red Bulls matches. Robles gave the children a chance to see a day in the life of a professional athlete, but also took it upon himself to experience a day in their life, visiting their hospitals and seeing their treatment and care routines. Additional awareness was raised through a video series about the program.
Robles and his teammates also partnered with HMH and Tackle Kids Cancer to design custom boots that were worn during warmups of New York's September 29 match against D.C. United for MLS' Kick Childhood Cancer initiative. Red Bulls players are each matched with a local pediatric cancer patient, and the two spend a day together at Red Bulls Training Facility before sitting down to draw their custom designs over lunch. Robles wore his custom boots throughout the match before handing them off to his buddy in a post-game meet and greet.
Robles also walked in the Laureus Sport for Good fashion show, joining a host of other star athletes at a benefit gala and fashion show, with all proceeds going directly to support The Laureus Foundation's work to provide children from all backgrounds access to high-quality sports programs.
MLS End of Year Award voting consists of select local and national media, current MLS player, and technical staff votes. The award winners will be announced throughout the month of October by Major League Soccer.
Robles is also up for MLS Save of the Year presented by Allstate with online voting at MLSsoccer.com or the free MLS app from now through Oct. 22.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 14, 2019
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: October 14, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers, Thorns FC Name Collin Romer Vice President of Communications - Portland Timbers
- Four LAFC Members Named Finalists for MLS End-Of-Year Awards - Los Angeles FC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Exercises 2020 Contract Options for Micheal Azira, Jeremiah Gutjahr and Fabian Herbers - Chicago Fire
- LAFC Launches 'For Los Angeles' as Team Prepares for Playoffs - Los Angeles FC
- Union Players and Coach Named Finalists for MLS End of Year Awards - Philadelphia Union
- Morris Named as One of Three Finalists for 2019 MLS Comeback Player of the Year - Seattle Sounders FC
- Pozuelo Named Finalist for MLS Newcomer of the Year - Toronto FC
- Luis Robles Named a Finalist for MLS WORKS Humanitarian of the Year - New York Red Bulls
- Revolution Midfielder Carles Gil Voted a Finalist for 2019 MLS Newcomer of the Year Award - New England Revolution
- Loons Featured as Finalists for MLS Year-End Awards - Minnesota United FC
- Finalists Announced for 2019 Year-End Awards - MLS
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: October 14, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- LAFC Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA Sports - Los Angeles FC
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS - MLS
- "Spend to Save" at FC Cincinnati Shop this week - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Red Bulls Knocked out of MLS Cup Playoffs; Fall to Columbus, 3-2
- New York Travels to Columbus for Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Matchup
- New York Red Bulls Players and Pediatric Patients Virtually Design Posters to Mark Five-Year Anniversary of Tackle Kids Cancer
- New York Red Bulls to Face Columbus Crew SC in 2020 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs
- Red Bulls Defeat Toronto, 2-1; Clinch 6th Seed in East