LAFC Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA Sports
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) announced today that forward Carlos Vela was voted the MLS Player of the Month presented by EA SPORTS by members of the media for the months of September-October of the 2019 MLS season. This is the third honor this season for Vela after winning the MLS Player of the Month award in March and April.
The Black & Gold's captain finished September and October with seven goals over five matches. Vela led the league in goals, breaking the MLS single-season goalscoring mark with 34 goals this season. LAFC finished atop the Supporters' Shield standings (21-4-9; 72 points) and secured a first-round bye and home-field advantage throughout the Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs.
After missing the first two matches in September, Vela scored in his return to the field in a 1-1 draw at Philadelphia Union on September 14. He then scored a penalty kick at the death to salvage a 1-1 draw when hosting Toronto FC on September 21.
On September 25, LAFC defeated the Houston Dynamo and clinched the Supporters' Shield at Banc of California Stadium with a 3-1 victory, with Vela converting another penalty kick for the first goal of the match. The 30-year-old forward then scored in the 70th minute to help LAFC to a 1-1 draw at Minnesota United FC on September 29, tying the MLS single-season goalscoring mark.
Vela capped his tremendous month with a hat trick in LAFC's 3-1 home victory over the Colorado Rapids on MLS Decision Day presented by AT&T on October 6. He broke the goalscoring record in the 28th minute with a long-range rocket before giving LAFC a 2-0 lead with an outstanding bicycle kick in the 31st minute. Vela capped the day with his third of the afternoon in the 51st minute, and he is now tied for second in MLS history with a goal in nine consecutive regular season matches.
As part of every MLS Player of the Month award this season, EA SPORTS FIFA 20 will release a special FUT item to honor the winning player, this month recognizing Vela for his tremendous September and October performance. Vela can be unlocked via a special Squad Building Challenge now live in FIFA 20 Ultimate Team.
MLS Player of the Month presented by EA SPORTS is voted upon by a panel of select national media members in a process conducted by MLS Communications.
LAFC will next host either Minnesota United or the Galaxy in the Western Conference Semifinals in the Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs on Thursday, October 24 at Banc of California Stadium (7:30 p.m. PT, ESPN, ESPN 710 AM, 980 AM 'La Mera Mera').
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 14, 2019
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: October 14, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers, Thorns FC Name Collin Romer Vice President of Communications - Portland Timbers
- Four LAFC Members Named Finalists for MLS End-Of-Year Awards - Los Angeles FC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Exercises 2020 Contract Options for Micheal Azira, Jeremiah Gutjahr and Fabian Herbers - Chicago Fire
- LAFC Launches 'For Los Angeles' as Team Prepares for Playoffs - Los Angeles FC
- Union Players and Coach Named Finalists for MLS End of Year Awards - Philadelphia Union
- Morris Named as One of Three Finalists for 2019 MLS Comeback Player of the Year - Seattle Sounders FC
- Pozuelo Named Finalist for MLS Newcomer of the Year - Toronto FC
- Luis Robles Named a Finalist for MLS WORKS Humanitarian of the Year - New York Red Bulls
- Revolution Midfielder Carles Gil Voted a Finalist for 2019 MLS Newcomer of the Year Award - New England Revolution
- Loons Featured as Finalists for MLS Year-End Awards - Minnesota United FC
- Finalists Announced for 2019 Year-End Awards - MLS
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: October 14, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- LAFC Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA Sports - Los Angeles FC
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS - MLS
- "Spend to Save" at FC Cincinnati Shop this week - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC Falls to the Seattle Sounders FC 3-1 in First Round of Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs
- LAFC Travels to Face Seattle Sounders FC Tomorrow in Round One of the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs
- LAFC Prepares for Playoffs with for Los Angeles Specials at L.A. Restaurants
- LAFC Collaborates with Postmates to Bring Gear to Fans' Doorsteps
- LAFC's Diego Rossi Named to 2020 MLS Best XI