Earthquakes Weekly Update: October 14, 2019
Several San Jose Earthquakes players were called up to their respective national teams to compete across several international contests.
The U.S. Men's National Team defeated Cuba 7-0 on Friday, Oct. 11 in a Concacaf Nations League match played in Washington D.C. Midfielder Jackson Yueill featured in the Starting XI for the USMNT and played all 90 minutes, marking his fourth international cap. Defender Nick Lima did not feature in Friday's match. The USMNT will face Canada in Toronto on Tuesday, Oct. 15 (4:30 p.m. PT; ESPN2/UniMas/TUDN).
Goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski was called up to represent the U.S. U-23s in a match versus El Salvador U-23s on Tuesday, Oct. 15 (7 p.m. PT) at FIU Soccer Stadium in Miami.
The Georgia National Team tied 0-0 with the Republic of Ireland on Saturday, Oct. 12 in a EURO 2020 European Qualifying match. Defender Guram Kashia and midfielder Vako started and played all 90 minutes for Georgia, earning their 77th and 44th international caps, respectively. Georgia will play a second European qualifying match on Tuesday, Oct. 15 against Gibraltar at 11:45 a.m. PT on ESPN3.
The Peru National Team fell 1-0 to Uruguay on Friday, Oct. 11 at Estadio Centenario. Defender Marcos Lopez did not feature for Peru, who will now host Uruguay on Tuesday, Oct. 15 at 6:30 p.m. PT.
NEWS: Earthquakes, NCAA to host College Cup Youth Showcase in December
The San Jose Earthquakes have partnered with the NCAA and the San Jose Sports Authority to host the College Cup Youth Showcase at the Morgan Hill Soccer Complex on December 7-8. The tournament will coincide with the NCAA Women's College Cup which will be hosted at Avaya Stadium, the home of the Quakes. Read the full story here.
RENO 1868 FC UPDATE
Reno 1868 FC defeated rivals Las Vegas Lights FC 2-0 on Saturday night at Cashman Field, securing the 2019 Silver State Cup and a guaranteed home playoff match on Saturday, Oct. 26. Saturday's win sees Reno join FC Cincinnati as only the second club in USL history to register 50 wins in a span of three seasons. 1868 FC also matched its franchise record for wins in a single season (17) with one match remaining in their 2019 regular-season schedule.
Quakes goalkeeper Matt Bersano and midfielders Eric Calvillo and Kevin Partida were featured in the Starting XI for Reno. Quakes midfielders Siad Haji and Gilbert Fuentes entered the match as second-half substitutes.
1868 FC took a 1-0 lead in the 35th minute after forcing Las Vegas to concede an own goal. Haji tallied his first professional goal in the 76th minute, securing a 2-0 win for 1868 FC. Partida was credited with the assist on Haji's goal, his first of the season.
Matt Bersano recorded his fourth shutout this season, Reno's eighth in 2019 and second straight in league play. 1868 FC earned back-to-back shutout wins over Las Vegas in 2019, improving to 3-0-2 in all-time matchups against their rivals.
1868 FC will play their final regular-season match at ONEOK Field when they face Tulsa Roughnecks FC on Saturday, Oct. 19. Saturday's match is set for 1 p.m. PT and will be live streamed on ESPN+.
Tickets for Reno's Quarterfinals match (opponent TBD) on Oct. 26 at Greater Nevada Field are now on sale and can be purchased here. Playoff strips are also available and can be accessed here. Strips include discounted tickets for all four potential playoff matches, as well as an exclusive team-issued playoff shirt.
The San Jose Earthquakes Boys' Academy competed in the first phase of Generations adidas Cup qualifiers.
The U-15s earned a total of seven points, having defeated Minnesota United FC (Oct. 11, 3-1) and the LA Galaxy (Oct. 12, 3-1), and falling to Sporting Kansas City (Oct. 14, 5-4) in a penalty shootout.
The U-17s are at a total of four points with a 1-0 win over Sporting Kansas City (Oct. 14), a 3-1 defeat to the LA Galaxy (Oct. 12) and a loss to Minnesota United FC following a penalty shootout (Oct. 11, 5-4).
The second phase of GA Cup qualifiers will resume in February 2020. The full GA Cup qualifying schedule can be accessed here.
The Boys resume regular-season play when they host Sacramento Republic FC on Saturday, Oct. 19. Details on the Boys' Academy full season schedule can be accessed here.
The Girls' Academy faced Beach Futbol Club on Saturday and SC del Sol on Sunday.
On Saturday, the U-16s and the U-19s won 4-2 and 2-1, respectively. The U-15s (3-0) and U-17s (2-1) both fell in their respective matchups against Beach Futbol Club.
The Girls will face Lamorinda Soccer Club on Saturday, Oct. 19. Time and locations for Girls' Academy matches can be found here.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 14, 2019
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: October 14, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers, Thorns FC Name Collin Romer Vice President of Communications - Portland Timbers
- Four LAFC Members Named Finalists for MLS End-Of-Year Awards - Los Angeles FC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Exercises 2020 Contract Options for Micheal Azira, Jeremiah Gutjahr and Fabian Herbers - Chicago Fire
- LAFC Launches 'For Los Angeles' as Team Prepares for Playoffs - Los Angeles FC
- Union Players and Coach Named Finalists for MLS End of Year Awards - Philadelphia Union
- Morris Named as One of Three Finalists for 2019 MLS Comeback Player of the Year - Seattle Sounders FC
- Pozuelo Named Finalist for MLS Newcomer of the Year - Toronto FC
- Luis Robles Named a Finalist for MLS WORKS Humanitarian of the Year - New York Red Bulls
- Revolution Midfielder Carles Gil Voted a Finalist for 2019 MLS Newcomer of the Year Award - New England Revolution
- Loons Featured as Finalists for MLS Year-End Awards - Minnesota United FC
- Finalists Announced for 2019 Year-End Awards - MLS
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: October 14, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- LAFC Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA Sports - Los Angeles FC
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS - MLS
- "Spend to Save" at FC Cincinnati Shop this week - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Announce 2020 Club Award Winners
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: November 23, 2020
- Quakes eliminated after forcing No. 1 seed to penalty kicks
- Earthquakes Face Sporting KC Today in Round One of the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs
- Earthquakes Announce Extended Partnership with PG&E and the PG&E Corporation Foundation