Portland Timbers, Portland Thorns FC Renew Partnership with Dark Horse Comics for National Superhero Day
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers and Portland Thorns FC once again have partnered with iconic, local comic book publisher Dark Horse Comics to create player-specific superheroes in recognition of National Superhero Day, it was announced today.
Timbers midfielder Sebastián Blanco and Thorns FC midfielder Lindsey Horan will both be transformed into superheroes and have alter-egos created by local artist Ron Chan. The collaboration will be launched on Sunday, April 28, on National Superhero Day, marking the second consecutive year in which the Timbers and Thorns FC have partnered with Dark Horse Comics. In 2018, Timbers midfielders Diego Chara and Diego Valeri and Thorns FC midfielder Tobin Heath and forward Christine Sinclair were each transformed into superheroes.
"We are excited to build upon the partnership with Dark Horse and continue this special collection to celebrate the club and athletes," said Cory Dolich, Timbers and Thorns FC senior vice president of business operations and marketing. "Given the feedback and reaction from last year, it was an easy decision to extend the collaboration and grow our set of PTFC superheroes."
As part of the project, comic book writer Paul Tobin created unique origin stories for each player, detailing the genesis of their individual superpowers. Blanco's superhero, 'The Mighty Blanco,' is gifted with incredible strength and power, the ability to wield fire and the capacity to transform into a whirling titan on the field. Horan's superhero, 'The Great Horan,' has special powers that allow her to transport herself through a portal anywhere on the field, that simultaneously enhance her strength, endurance, stamina and physical ability.
The full character bios for each of the Thorns FC and Timbers superheroes will be released today on www.timbers.com and www.thornsfc.com. For images of each superhero, click here.
"Dark Horse is thrilled to be working with our friends from the Portland Timbers and Portland Thorns again this year," said Mike Richardson, Dark Horse President and founder. "We're excited to once again combine the creative talent of our staff and talented creators at Dark Horse with the athletic prowess of the Timbers and Thorns players."
The special creative will be displayed on individual t-shirts featuring Blanco and Horan. Additionally, a commemorative scarf, t-shirt and individual patches will feature all six players, including last year's group of superheroes - Chara, Heath, Sinclair and Valeri. Each product will be available in-person at the PTFC Team Store during regular business hours, and online at www.shopthornsfc.com, starting on Sunday, April 28, at 9 a.m. (Pacific). The commemorative scarf will also be available for purchase at www.MLSStore.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 25, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: April 25, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- Atlanta United Announces Date Change for Match at LAFC - Atlanta United FC
- Philadelphia Union to Open New Premium VIP "Tunnel Clubâ? at Talen Energy Stadium - Philadelphia Union
- LAFC Announces Date Change for Home Match against Atlanta United FC - Los Angeles FC
- Portland Timbers, Portland Thorns FC Renew Partnership with Dark Horse Comics for National Superhero Day - Portland Timbers
- D.C. United to Host the U.S. Men's National Team at Audi Field on June 5 - D.C. United
- Match Preview: New York Begins Three-Match Homestand on Saturday - New York Red Bulls
- Columbus Crew SC Single-Match Tickets for Second Half of 2019 Regular Season on Sale Today - Columbus Crew SC
- D.C. United Announce Partnership with Soccer the Brazilian Way to Launch D.C. United Futsal Academy - D.C. United
- Shea Salinas records first-ever brace in road draw - San Jose Earthquakes
- Second-Half Comeback Propels Sounders FC to 2-2 Draw with San Jose - Seattle Sounders FC
- MNUFC Draw Galaxy 0-0 - Minnesota United FC
- Revolution Fall to Montreal Impact, 3-0 - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 0, Minnesota United FC 0 - Wednesday, April 24, 2019 - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers to Host LA Galaxy in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 on Wednesday, June 19
- Timbers Register 2-1 Win against Seattle Sounders FC in Fourth Round of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup
- Timbers Weekly Update: June 11, 2019
- Timbers Broadcast Team Wins 2019 Northwest Regional Emmy Award
- Marco Farfan, Eryk Williamson Called into U.S. U-23 National Team Camp