Timbers Weekly Update: April 25, 2019
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers square off against an Eastern Conference opponent for a second straight week when they visit Toronto FC for a road match on Saturday, April 27, at BMO Field in Toronto. Beginning at 12 noon (Pacific), Saturday's match will feature a local television broadcast on ROOT SPORTS with local radio broadcasts on 1029 and 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
The Timbers picked up their first win of the season over the weekend after recording a 3-1 victory on the road against Columbus Crew SC on April 20. Larrys Mabiala and Jorge Moreira scored their first goals of the season for Portland, while Jeremy Ebobisse tallied his team-leading third goal of the campaign. With the win, the Timbers snapped Crew SC's 11-game home unbeaten streak, dating back to the 2018 season.
Sebastián Blanco recorded two assists in Portland's match against Columbus, marking the third time he has tallied multiple assists in a single MLS match. Blanco now has three assists in the last two matches and 21 in his career. Diego Valeri recorded his team-leading fourth assist of the season and the 69th of his MLS career in the Timbers match against Crew SC. His assist total ranks 18th all-time in MLS history. Additionally, Cristhian Paredes delivered his first assist of the season.
Extended road trip
The Timbers continue their extended road swing with their eighth match as part of their first 12 games on the road to begin the season. Portland's 12-game road trip to start the 2019 season is due to completion work on the $85 million transformation of Providence Park. During that stretch, the Timbers will travel roughly 30,000 miles, including trips to Cincinnati, Dallas, Columbus, Toronto, Houston and Philadelphia.
Scouting Toronto FC
Toronto FC (4-1-1, 13pts) is unbeaten in four home games (3-0-1) this season, coming off a 4-3 win at BMO Field against Minnesota United FC on April 19. This season, Toronto FC ranks second in MLS in goals scored (18), led by Alejandro Pozuelo, who has tallied four goals and five assists in his first four games. Saturday's match marks the 10th meeting all-time between Portland and Toronto FC. The Timbers have won two of the last three meetings, including a 2-0 win at Providence Park on Aug. 29, 2018.
The Timbers square off against Real Salt Lake on Saturday, April 27, at Rio Tinto Stadium. Beginning at 12 noon (Pacific), the match will feature a local television broadcast on ROOT SPORTS with local radio broadcasts on 1029 and 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 25, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: April 25, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- Atlanta United Announces Date Change for Match at LAFC - Atlanta United FC
- Philadelphia Union to Open New Premium VIP "Tunnel Clubâ? at Talen Energy Stadium - Philadelphia Union
- LAFC Announces Date Change for Home Match against Atlanta United FC - Los Angeles FC
- Portland Timbers, Portland Thorns FC Renew Partnership with Dark Horse Comics for National Superhero Day - Portland Timbers
- D.C. United to Host the U.S. Men's National Team at Audi Field on June 5 - D.C. United
- Match Preview: New York Begins Three-Match Homestand on Saturday - New York Red Bulls
- Columbus Crew SC Single-Match Tickets for Second Half of 2019 Regular Season on Sale Today - Columbus Crew SC
- D.C. United Announce Partnership with Soccer the Brazilian Way to Launch D.C. United Futsal Academy - D.C. United
- Shea Salinas records first-ever brace in road draw - San Jose Earthquakes
- Second-Half Comeback Propels Sounders FC to 2-2 Draw with San Jose - Seattle Sounders FC
- MNUFC Draw Galaxy 0-0 - Minnesota United FC
- Revolution Fall to Montreal Impact, 3-0 - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 0, Minnesota United FC 0 - Wednesday, April 24, 2019 - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Midfielder Dairon Asprilla Undergoes Successful Arthroscopic Meniscus Repair Procedure
- Portland Timbers and Seattle Sounders FC Announce Special "SEAvPDX Week" to Recognize Rivalry with Unique Content and Activities
- Timbers Midfielder Diego Valeri Wins Week 3 of MLS Idle
- Thorns Academy Joins Elite Clubs National League Girls
- Portland Timbers to Return to Individual Workouts Thursday