Players Fly into Hawks Training Camp
EVERETT - As the old saying goes, the early bird gets the worm. In the case of the 2007 version of the Everett Hawks, the organization is hoping early morning practice nets them an ArenaCup title.
The Hawks on-field preparations for the 2007 season kick off tomorrow morning at 6 a.m., as the team will take to the field at the Snohomish Soccer Dome in Snohomish. The Hawks are looking to dramatically improve on a 4-12 inaugural arenafootball2 season. But with a nearly complete roster overhaul - the only returning players are WR/DB Milton Myers, OL/DL Kai Ziegler and OL/DL Kelvin Wallace Jr. - the Hawks and first-year Head Coach Cedric Walker are looking to make huge improvements, both on the field and off.
"By looking at our roster you can tell that we went in and revamped this team," Coach Walker said. "We're going to have a lot of competition in camp. We can't be one dimensional - we'll have weapons all over the field. We have af2 veterans who are proven in this game. The big thing is we just have to make sure everything is team-first."
Headlining the 2007 roster is last season's af2 Ironman of the Year, former Central Valley Coyotes WR/LB LaMonte Jones. He will lead a stacked receiving corps, including his former teammate Marvin Brown, former Stockton Lightning standout Phil Goodman, af2 veteran Robert Reed, speedster Josh Richey and Myers and into battle. Getting them the ball will likely be af2 veteran quarterback Ben Bowling, who spent three years with the Tulsa Talons. He will be pushed in camp by talented rookie Jason Campbell, though. Another former Coyote, FB/LB Vai Notoa, will lead the improved Hawks ground attack. Notoa is entering his fifth season in the league, having played two seasons in Central Valley after spending two years playing for the Hawaii Islanders.
Coach Walker is expecting big things from his defense, where DL Shakkor Bryant will anchor the line and hope to improve upon his 6.5-sack season a year ago in Arkansas. The defensive secondary should be strong with af2 veteran Charles Ealy teaming with Art Smith, who spent 2006 in the AFL, and af2 rookie Aaron Dunklin to form a quick, ball-hawking group. Another af2 veteran, Markus Pratt, will likely be the leader of the linebacker corps.
Don't miss a minute of the exciting 2007 Everett Hawks season! The 2007 campaign kicks off March 31 and season ticket packages from as low as $40 are currently on sale. For more information or to reserve your seats for the 2007 season, contact the Hawks office at 425.252.4874.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from March 9, 2007
- Players Fly into Hawks Training Camp - Everett Hawks
- Lightning Assigned Johnson, ex-Hurricane Walker - Stockton Lightning
- Dietz signs with Shock - Spokane Shock
- Twisters Open Spring Camp with New Defensive Coordinator - Arkansas Diamonds
- Yard Dawgz Begin Training Camp March 10 - Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz
- Thunder Radio Broadcast Team Set - Mahoning Valley Thunder
- Ben Bennett Ready For Third Training Camp In Manchester - Manchester Wolves
- Labay Duo Helps Copperheads - Texas Copperheads
- Steeldogs Open 2007 Training Camp - Alabama Steeldogs
- Firecats Round Out Training Camp Roster - Florida Firecats