Hawks Fall on Last Second Kick
EVERETT - Alex Walls' 39-yard field goal as time expired gave the Stockton Lightning a thrilling 55-54 win over the Everett Hawks before 1,541 fans at the Everett Events Center.
In what was a seesaw battle all night long, the Hawks took a 54-52 lead with 8.6 seconds to play on a four-yard touchdown pass from QB Jason Campbell to WR/LB Marvin Brown. After an Everett timeout, the Lightning coaching staff opted to forego a long field goal attempt and instead threw an 18-yard strike to U.S. Army Ironman of the Game Kenyatte Morgan to set up the game-winning field goal as the clock expired.
Morgan set a franchise record with his 237 kick return yards, to go with his nine catches for 122 yards and a touchdown through the air. Lightning QB Evan Gray had a fine game, completing 18 of 28 passes for 272 yards and six touchdowns. WR Sale Key hauled in seven passes for 78 yards and three scores for the Lightning (2-4). DB York Frierson had six tackles and an interception to earn ADT Defensive Player of the Game honors.
For the Hawks (1-5), Campbell completed 26 of 43 yards for 269 yards, eight touchdowns and one interception and was named the Schutt Offensive Player of the Game for his efforts. WR Josh Richey was Campbell's favorite target, hauling in 11 receptions for 123 yards and four touchdowns. Brown caught nine passes for 79 yards and a pair of scores and former Stockton WR Phil Goodman had six receptions for 67 yards and two touchdowns against his former mates. Goodman also earned the Cutters Catch of the Game for an acrobatic, lunging 14-yard third quarter touchdown reception. FB/LB Vai Notoa set a Hawks' single-game franchise record with his 41 rushing yards.
The Hawks don't have much time to dwell on their loss, as they travel to the Midwest to face the Quad City Steamwheelers (3-3) Friday night at 5:30 p.m. Everett will return home to face the Bakersfield Blitz (4-2) on Sunday, May 27, at 3 p.m. at the Everett Events Center
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from May 15, 2007
- Morgan, Groefsema And Ferguson Earn Week Seven Honors - af2
- Mahoning Valley Thunder game notes - Mahoning Valley Thunder
- Renegades Host Oklahoma City To Continue Division Play - Lubbock Renegades
- Florida Firecats Team-Up to Raise Money for Red Cross and Local Firefighters - Florida Firecats
- Firecats Announce Mastrole to Return as Offensive Coordinator - Florida Firecats
- Special Teams Stand Out For Texas - Texas Copperheads
- Bossier-Shreveport BattleWings game notes - Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings
- Wings to Visit Keithville Middle School - Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings
- Join the BattleWings Street Team - Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings
- Blizzard Defense #1 - Green Bay Blizzard
- Final kick lifts Lightning - Stockton Lightning
- Hawks Fall on Last Second Kick - Everett Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.