Pitching Snaps Four-Game Skid
FREDERICK, MD. -The Frederick Keys (19-21) scored three runs in the first inning and added one late to hang on to a 4-1 victory against the Salem Red Sox (16-24) on Saturday night at Nymeo Field. The game was interrupted after the top of the fourth inning by a rain delay that last an hour and thirty-two minutes. Once play resumed, Steven Klimek (2-1) and Travis Seabrooke (S, 2) held Salem scoreless over the final five frames. The win snapped a four-game losing streak for Frederick.
The Keys were relentless in the first inning, sending eight batters to the plate which forced Red Sox starter Kutter Crawford (3-2) to throw 39 pitches. It only took one pitch for Jomar Reyes to give the Keys a 2-0 lead however, as he hammered the first offering from Crawford over the fence for a two-run home run. J.C. Escarra followed Reyes with a base hit, and Jake Ring drew a walk to put runners on first and second for Trevor Craport, who singled in Escarra to put the Keys on top 3-0.
Keys' starter David Lebron retired the Red Sox lineup in order through the first three innings, but Jarren Durran slugged a solo home run to lead off the fourth and put Salem on the board 3-1. Tanner Nishioka followed with a single but Lebron buckled down to get a strikeout and an inning-ending double play.
The game was then delayed over an hour and a half and knocked both starters out of the game. Lebron was dealt a no decision after allowing a pair of hits, a run, and striking out four in four innings. Crawford was saddled with the loss, surrendering three runs (two earned) on five hits and a pair of walks over three frames.
Eduard Bazardo came on in relief for Salem and tossed four shutout innings while striking out six. Klimek matched Bazardo each step of the way. He stranded runners at the corners in the sixth and earned the win after pitching three scoreless innings. Seabrooke got into trouble in the eighth with runners at first and third but induced another inning-ending double-play to get out of the jam.
Frederick got an insurance run in the eighth. Craport doubled, advanced to third on a passed ball, and scored on a sacrifice fly from Will Robertson.
Seabrooke closed out the ninth picked up his second save of the season. He allowed two hits and a walk and struck out a batter.
The Keys finish their three-game set against Salem on Sunday, May 19. RHP Cody Sedlock (2-0, 1.71) starts for Frederick opposed LHP Jhonathan Diaz (2-3, 8.22) for Salem. Family Fitness Weekend continues on Sunday with a candy drop after the game. First pitch is slated for 1:00 p.m. and the game can be heard on frederickkeys.com and the TuneIn radio app with pregame coverage starting at 12:45 p.m.
The Frederick Keys are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles, and play their home games at Nymeo Field at Harry Grove Stadium. Following the 2018 season, the Keys were named the winner of the Carolina League's Complete Franchise Award. This goes to a team in the league which demonstrates franchise stability and significant contributions to its community and the league. In 2019, the team will host the Carolina League All-Star Classic presented by Visit Frederick. For more information about the Frederick Keys please contact Geoff Arnold by phone at (301)-815-9915 or by emailing at GArnold@FrederickKeys.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Pelicans Offense Stays Cold in Loss to Hillcats - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- P-Nats and Blue Rocks Split Doubleheader - Potomac Nationals
- Pitching Snaps Four-Game Skid - Frederick Keys
- Henry Blasts Three-Run Homer as Mudcats Win Third Straight 6-4 in Fayetteville - Carolina Mudcats
- Solter, Offense Bury Myrtle Beach on Saturday - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Muno's Two-Run Double Pushes Dash Past Woodies - Winston-Salem Dash
- Fayetteville Bullpen Dazzles, Team Falls Short on Scout Night - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Woodies Canâ??t Capitalize On King's Sensational Start, Drop Third Straight - Down East Wood Ducks
- May 18 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- May 18 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (May 18 at Down East) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: May 18 at Lynchburg - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Feliciano and Segovia Power Mudcats to 9-2 Victory in Fayetteville - Carolina Mudcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.