Pitching Dominates, Birds Shutout Dash in Game Three of Series
RTLE BEACH, S.C. - Javier Assad delivered seven brilliant innings as the Myrtle Beach Pelicans shutout the Winston-Salem Dash 1-0 on Wednesday night from TicketReturn.com Field at Pelicans Ballpark.
Assad (2-3) faced no trouble in the first inning as he struck out the side on 15 pitches and that was just the beginning of a dominant night for the right hander.
After giving up an infield single to lead off the second inning, Assad allowed just one more baserunner through seven innings of shutout baseball en route to his second win of the season.
The Pelicans (15-25) found the scoreboard in the bottom of the fifth inning when Cam Balego singled to lead off the inning and later came around to score on a wild pitch from Dash (18-20) starter Cristian Castillo (1-5) to give the Birds a 1-0 lead.
That was all the Pelicans needed on the day as Tyler Peyton tossed a scoreless eighth inning before turning the game over to Ben Hecht in the ninth inning. After Hecht retired the first two batters of the inning, he took Yeyson Yrizarri to two strikes before Yrizarri singled to keep the game alive.
Hecht then struck out Tyler Frost, but a wild pitch allowed Frost to reach at first and it set the stage for Zach Remillard in the ninth. Remillard laced a single to left and Yrizarri rounded third and tried to score, but Kevonte Mitchell gunned him down to end the ballgame and secure the 1-0 win for Myrtle Beach.
The Bird's pitching staff had faced the minimum through 8.2 innings before allowing three to reach in the ninth inning.
Myrtle Beach will go for the series sweep over Winston-Salem on Thursday at 7:05 p.m. Alex Lange (1-5, 11.17) will make his first start against the Dash this season and RHP Jorgan Cavanerio (0-0, 9.00) will start for Winston-Salem. Coverage starts at 6:50 p.m. on MiLB.tv, MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/Broadcast and the MiLB First Pitch and TuneIn Apps.
It is a Thirsty Thursday at the ballpark, presented by Celebrations Nitelife, Axelrod & Associates and Gator 107.9 FM, with $1 Bud and Bud Light drafts, $2 16 oz. cans and $2 Duplin wine from 5:30 p.m. until 8 p.m.
The 2019 season is the 21st season for the Pelicans franchise and fifth as the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. For tickets visit MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/tickets, call (843) 918-6000, or visit the Pelicans Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Mudcats Waste Early Lead in 6-4 Loss to Hillcats in Lynchburg - Carolina Mudcats
- Big Homers Carry Woodpeckers over Red Sox - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Clutch Pitching Helps Woodies Escape With 7-6 Win Over P-Nats - Down East Wood Ducks
- P-Nats Fall 7-6 in Nail Biter to Down East - Potomac Nationals
- Pelicans Blank Dash 1-0 in Wednesday's Road Loss - Winston-Salem Dash
- Lynchburg Storms Back from Four-Run Deficit to Knock off Mudcats - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Pitching Dominates, Birds Shutout Dash in Game Three of Series - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- May 15 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: May 15 vs. Winston-Salem - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- May 15 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Energize the Ballpark Concert Returns on August 3 - Winston-Salem Dash
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (May 15 at Myrtle Beach) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Keys Shutout in Second Straight Game - Frederick Keys
- Wilmington Turns in Second Straight Shutout - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Mudcats Hold on 3-2 in Wild Extra-Innings Victory in Lynchburg - Carolina Mudcats
- Bats Break Through in Woodpeckers Winner - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Myrtle Beach Pelicans Stories
- Pelicans Fall in Series Opener to Winston-Salem
- RHP Tyler Peyton promoted to Double-A Tennessee from Myrtle Beach
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: June 24 at Winston-Salem
- Woodpeckers Hold off Pelicans and Complete Sweep
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: June 22 vs. Fayetteville