Wilmington Turns in Second Straight Shutout
lmington, DE - The lmington Blue Rocks tossed their second consecutive shutout, taking a 1-0 pitchers' duel from the Frederick Keys on Wednesday afternoon at Frawley Stadium. Daniel Lynch, Collin Snyder and Tad Ratliff combined on the blanking, while Nick Pratto drove in the game's only run in the bottom of the eighth.
Lynch was brilliant. The lefty retired 16 in a row at one point and did not allow a ball out of the infield after Jake Ring's lead-off single in the second. He equaled his career-long outing, tossing seven frames while yielding just two hits, fanning nine and walking none.
Lynch gave way to Collin Snider who worked around a leadoff walk to toss a scoreless eighth and get the win. Tad Ratliff turned in a one-two-three ninth to nail down his Carolina League-leading 10th save of the season.
The top of lmington's order produced the Blue Crew's offense in the eighth. Colby Schultz opened the frame with a single and then MJ Melendez patiently worked a walk. That set the stage for Pratto, who lined a single into left that brought home Schultz and gave the Rocks a second straight shutout victory.
The Blue Crew wrap up their homestand with a 6:35 p.m. game against the Keys on Thursday. Righty Brady Singer gets the ball for lmington. Tickets are available at BlueRocks.com and fans that don't make it to the ballpark can catch all the action with the Voice of the Blue Rocks, Cory Nidoh on 89.7 WGLS-FM.
PEBBLES OF KNOWLEDGE:
The Blue Crew have excelled in close games this season. lmington leads the Carolina League with 17 contests decided by a single score in 2019. The Rocks are an impressive 14-3 in those close calls. They are also stellar at holding late leads, going 13-1 when taking an advantage into the eighth inning and 15-0 when leading after eight.
The Blue Rocks have had a great deal of success this season under the sun. lmington has played seven day games in 2019 and have a 6-1 record in those contests.
Daniel Lynch has owned the Keys this season. The lefty established a new career-high by tossing seven frames on May 2 at Frederick, allowing just two runs (one earned) in a victory. He went seven again on Tuesday against the Keys and this time did not surrender a single score. In 14 total frames Lynch has 14 strikeouts and no walks. His ERA versus Frederick is 0.64 as opposed to 4.50 against the rest of the Carolina League.
lmington has had an odd schedule to start the 2019 season. lmington opened the campaign with a series against Salem and then played 17 consecutive games against CL South opponents. The Rocks went 9-8 during that stretch. The Blue Crew are now in the midst of playing 24 out of 27 against the CL North. The Rocks are 11-6 so far during this divisional-heavy portion of the slate and 11-8 on the year against CL North foes.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Mudcats Waste Early Lead in 6-4 Loss to Hillcats in Lynchburg - Carolina Mudcats
- Big Homers Carry Woodpeckers over Red Sox - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Clutch Pitching Helps Woodies Escape With 7-6 Win Over P-Nats - Down East Wood Ducks
- P-Nats Fall 7-6 in Nail Biter to Down East - Potomac Nationals
- Pelicans Blank Dash 1-0 in Wednesday's Road Loss - Winston-Salem Dash
- Lynchburg Storms Back from Four-Run Deficit to Knock off Mudcats - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Pitching Dominates, Birds Shutout Dash in Game Three of Series - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- May 15 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: May 15 vs. Winston-Salem - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- May 15 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Energize the Ballpark Concert Returns on August 3 - Winston-Salem Dash
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (May 15 at Myrtle Beach) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Keys Shutout in Second Straight Game - Frederick Keys
- Wilmington Turns in Second Straight Shutout - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Mudcats Hold on 3-2 in Wild Extra-Innings Victory in Lynchburg - Carolina Mudcats
- Bats Break Through in Woodpeckers Winner - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilmington Blue Rocks Stories
- Kayla Knotts Named Blue Rocks Teacher of the Year
- Brandywine Valley SPCA Drive-Thru Pet Food Pantry to be Held Next Week at Frawley Stadium
- Blue Rocks and Blue Coats Partner on Delaware Together Campaign
- 2019 Season Rewind: Rocks Never Say Die
- Nemours Children's Health System Seeks PPE & Cleaning Supply Donations