Keys Shutout in Second Straight Game
LMINGTON, DE - A starting pitchers duel saw the Frederick Keys (18-19) muster just two hits in a 1-0 shutout win for the Wilmington Blue Rocks (22-16) on Wednesday morning at Frawley Stadium. Daniel Lynch and Dean Kremer matched each other inning for inning, striking out a combined 18 batters. The Keys offense was shutout for the second straight game against Wilmington and have not scored a run in 19 innings. They have just seven hits in that span.
The Keys best scoring opportunity came in the first inning, when Willy Yahn singled and advanced to second on a walk with one-out. Lynch struck out the next two batters and cruised from there.
The Richmond-native carved up the Keys' lineup and at one point retired 15 straight hitters. The left-hander capped off his outing by recording his career-high ninth strikeout after completing seven innings for the second time against Frederick.
Meanwhile, Kremer matched Lynch frame for frame. He struck out a pair in the first and third innings and sat down the side in the fifth. The Blue Rocks worked an opportunity in the sixth inning after Cristian Perez led off with a double and advanced to third on a wild pitch, but Kremer got a punch out, a pop-up and a fly-ball to center field to end the threat.
Kremer gave up a pair of hits and two walks while striking out nine batters in six shutout innings. This was his second start with Frederick.
Cameron Bishop (0-2) came on in relief in the seventh inning and gave up a pair of two-out hits but struck out Perez to finish the frame. In the eighth, Bishop allowed a single and walk to put runners on first and second for Pratto, who knocked in the lone run of the game to give Wilmington a 1-0 lead. Bishop was dealt a loss for the second time this season.
Colin Snider (3-1) picked up the win after pitching the eighth while Tad Ratliff (10) closed out the ninth to earn his Carolina League-leading 10th save.
The Keys and Blue Rocks finish their four-game set on Thursday, May 16 at Frawley Stadium. LHP DL Hall (1-1, 4.43) starts for the Keys and will be opposed by Blue Rocks right-hander Brady Singer (3-2, 2.87). First pitch is slated for 6:35 p.m. and the game can be heard on frederickkeys.com and the TuneIn radio app with pregame coverage starting at 6:20 p.m.
The Keys return to Nymeo Field on Friday night when the Salem Red Sox come to town. It is Family Fitness Weekend presented by Premiere Dental Arts. Highlights include #AllCAPS Night with an appearance by former Capitals player Mike Knuble, Hail to the Redskins Night with Vernon Davis and Gary Clark sponsored by PMSi as well as two fireworks shows. For tickets, fans can call the Keys at 301-815-9939 or visit frederickkeys.com.
The Frederick Keys are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles, and play their home games at Nymeo Field at Harry Grove Stadium. Following the 2018 season, the Keys were named the winner of the Carolina League's Complete Franchise Award. This goes to a team in the league which demonstrates franchise stability and significant contributions to its community and the league. In 2019, the team will host the Carolina League All-Star Classic presented by Visit Frederick. For more information about the Frederick Keys please contact Geoff Arnold by phone at (301)-815-9915 or by emailing at [email protected]
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Mudcats Waste Early Lead in 6-4 Loss to Hillcats in Lynchburg - Carolina Mudcats
- Big Homers Carry Woodpeckers over Red Sox - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Clutch Pitching Helps Woodies Escape With 7-6 Win Over P-Nats - Down East Wood Ducks
- P-Nats Fall 7-6 in Nail Biter to Down East - Potomac Nationals
- Pelicans Blank Dash 1-0 in Wednesday's Road Loss - Winston-Salem Dash
- Lynchburg Storms Back from Four-Run Deficit to Knock off Mudcats - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Pitching Dominates, Birds Shutout Dash in Game Three of Series - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- May 15 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: May 15 vs. Winston-Salem - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- May 15 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Energize the Ballpark Concert Returns on August 3 - Winston-Salem Dash
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (May 15 at Myrtle Beach) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Keys Shutout in Second Straight Game - Frederick Keys
- Wilmington Turns in Second Straight Shutout - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Mudcats Hold on 3-2 in Wild Extra-Innings Victory in Lynchburg - Carolina Mudcats
- Bats Break Through in Woodpeckers Winner - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.