Pelicans Blank Dash 1-0 in Wednesday's Road Loss
RTLE BEACH, S.C. - Cristian Castillo logged his longest outing as a White Sox farmhand on Wednesday night, but Myrtle Beach's pitching trio of Javier Assad, Tyler Peyton and Cam Hecht combined to blank the Dash 1-0 at TicketReturn.Com Field at Pelicans Ballpark.
Castillo (1-5), who was coming off his first win in a Dash uniform last Thursday, recorded seven innings, allowing four hits and one run while walking one and striking out six.
However, the one run for the Pelicans (15-25) proved to be enough. With the game scoreless in the bottom of the fifth, Cam Balego singled to center to start the frame. Two batters later, Kevonte Mitchell walked to put runners on first and second. After Balego moved to third on a flyout from Jhonny Bethencourt, Castillo uncorked a wild pitch to allow Balego to cross home.
Assad (2-3) faced the minimum through his seven innings of work on Wednesday, allowing one hit and one walk while tying a career-high with nine strikeouts. His lone blemishes were an infield single from Jameson Fisher in the second and a walk to JJ Muno in the third. The reigning Carolina League Pitcher of the Week has now recorded 21.1 consecutive scoreless innings.
Peyton tossed a hitless eighth before the Dash (18-20) threatened in the ninth against Hecht. Yeyson Yrizarri singled with two outs, and Tyler Frost reached on a strikeout and a wild pitch to create a first and second, two-out situation for Zach Remillard.
Setting up a dramatic end to the contest, Remillard stroked a line-drive single to left. However, the left fielder Kevonte Mitchell gunned down Yrizarri at the plate to end the game.
Winston-Salem has now dropped six consecutive contests for the first time since losing seven in a row from June 28-July 4 in 2017.
The Dash wrap up their four-game set against the Pelicans on Thursday at TicketReturn.Com Field at Pelicans Ballpark. Winston-Salem right-hander Jorgan Canaverio (0-0, 9.00 ERA) will take the hill against Myrtle Beach right-hander Alex Lange (1-5, 11.17 ERA). First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m., and fans can catch all of the action on wsdash.com/broadcast, MiLB.tv and the TuneIn Radio App.
Following the seven-game road trip, the Dash will return to BB&T Ballpark for a four-game set with the Fayetteville Woodpeckers from May 20-23. Promotions include a Free Food Monday, with free hot dogs and fries available until 8:30 p.m., and corndogs while supplies last. Tuesday's game will be a Taco Tuesday, with $2 tacos available at the concession stand behind home plate. The series finale will be a Lowes Foods Thirsty Thursday and a Pups in the Park Night presented by Handy and Handy Orthodontics. For tickets and more information, call the Dash at (336) 714-2287 or visit wsdash.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Mudcats Waste Early Lead in 6-4 Loss to Hillcats in Lynchburg - Carolina Mudcats
- Big Homers Carry Woodpeckers over Red Sox - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Clutch Pitching Helps Woodies Escape With 7-6 Win Over P-Nats - Down East Wood Ducks
- P-Nats Fall 7-6 in Nail Biter to Down East - Potomac Nationals
- Pelicans Blank Dash 1-0 in Wednesday's Road Loss - Winston-Salem Dash
- Lynchburg Storms Back from Four-Run Deficit to Knock off Mudcats - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Pitching Dominates, Birds Shutout Dash in Game Three of Series - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- May 15 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: May 15 vs. Winston-Salem - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- May 15 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Energize the Ballpark Concert Returns on August 3 - Winston-Salem Dash
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (May 15 at Myrtle Beach) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Keys Shutout in Second Straight Game - Frederick Keys
- Wilmington Turns in Second Straight Shutout - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Mudcats Hold on 3-2 in Wild Extra-Innings Victory in Lynchburg - Carolina Mudcats
- Bats Break Through in Woodpeckers Winner - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.