Philadelphia Union Sign Midfielder Jose Martinez to New Contract
CHESTER, Pa. - Philadelphia Union announced today that the club has signed midfielder Jose "el Brujo" Martinez to a new contract. Following his breakout 2020 season, where he proved vital to the club's run to their first-ever Supporters' Shield, the deal ensures that Martinez is under contract with the Union through the 2022 season, with club options for 2023 and 2024.
"Jose's passion and physicality gives us an extra edge every time he steps on the field," said Ernst Tanner, Union Sporting Director. "He has proven to be dominant in our midfield, vital in the transition on attack and we are looking forward to seeing his continued development and contributions."
Martinez, 26, signed with the Union ahead of the 2020 season and made 14 regular-season appearances, starting all 14. He made his debut for the club on March 8 in a 3-3 draw against LAFC and recorded two assists over the course of the season. One of his assists came in the Union's 2-0 victory against New England in their regular season finale that secured the Supporters' Shield for the Union.
Prior to joining the Union, Martinez played for the Venezuelan club, Zulia FC, where he scored two goals and added four assists across 65 appearances in 2018 and 2019. He competed in the 2019 Copa Sudamericana where he helped Zulia reach the quarterfinals, the furthest a Venezuelan team has ever made it in the competition's history. Additionally, he was on the Zulia FC team that won the 2018 Copa Venezuela.
Internationally, Martinez most recently received a call up to the Venezuelan National Team last October ahead of a pair of FIFA World Cup qualifying matches.
TRANSACTION: Philadelphia Union sign midfielder Jose Martinez to a new contract on January 27, 2021.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 27, 2021
- Real Salt Lake's Noah Powder Named to Trinidad & Tobago Squad to Face the United States - Real Salt Lake
- Houston Dynamo Sign Goalkeeper Kyle Morton - Houston Dynamo FC
- Whitecaps FC Re-Sign Central Defender/Midfielder Andy Rose - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC Re-Signs Defender Jordan Harvey to One-Year Deal - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Re-Signs Goalkeeper Stefan Cleveland and Defender Jimmy Medranda - Seattle Sounders FC
- 2021 NWSL Challenge Cup Set to be Played in Home Markets; Kickoff Scheduled for April 9 - Orlando City SC
- Exploria Stadium to Host 2022 Special Olympics Opening Ceremony - Orlando City SC
- New York Red Bulls Add Tom Edwards on Loan from Stoke City - New York Red Bulls
- Austin FC Unveils 'Legends Jersey' for 2021 MLS Season - Austin FC
- Inter Miami CF Signs Goalkeeper Dylan Castanheira from Fort Lauderdale CF - Inter Miami CF
- Philadelphia Union Sign Midfielder Jose Martinez to New Contract - Philadelphia Union
- D.C. United Re-Sign Defender Chris Odoi-Atsem Through 2022 - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Andre Blake makes five saves, earns his 39th MLS career clean sheet
- IHeartMedia Philadelphia and Philadelphia Union Re-Sign Agreement for FOX Sports Radio "The Gambler" as Official Radio Broadcast Partner
- 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Quarterfinals Schedule Confirmed
- Army-Navy Cup IX Returns to Subaru Park on April 25
- Union advance to the quarter-final of the Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League