New York Red Bulls Add Tom Edwards on Loan from Stoke City
HARRISON, N.J. - The New York Red Bulls have added wingback Tom Edwards on loan from Stoke City of the English Championship pending receipt of his P-1 visa and ITC, the club announced. Edwards will occupy an international spot on New York's roster through the end of 2021.
"We have been following Tom's progress for some time, so we're delighted to have the opportunity to bring him to New York," said Head of Sport Kevin Thelwell. "Tom is a very good young player that reinforces our back line and brings a different set of experiences to our locker room. We look forward to getting him here and getting him acclimated to our club."
Edwards, 22, has spent all but three months of his soccer career in the Stoke City system. The English wingback grew up in the Stoke City youth system, beginning at the age of seven in 2006 through the Summer of 2017. He rose up through the ranks and made his senior team debut against Manchester City on October 14, 2017. Edwards made six starts and logged 483 minutes at right back during the 2017-18 season that featured Stoke City in the Premier League before being relegated.
"I'm pleased that we have added Tom to our team," said Head Coach Gerhard Struber. "Tom has a variety of experiences at different levels of English football, including the Premier League. He is a dynamic player at both ends of the field, he is a strong defender and has good qualities to join in the attack as well."
Since his promotion to the senior team, Edwards accrued 51 appearances, one goal and one assist across all competitions for Stoke City. He was recently loaned to Fleetwood Town, an English League One squad, and logged 920 minutes played in his 12 appearances across all competitions. Edwards helped anchor a Fleetwood Town side to three clean sheets during his stint.
Edwards also featured for the Under-20 England National team during the 2018 U-20 Elite League. The English wingback started in three of England's six matches, tallying 225 minutes played and helped record a clean sheet against U-20 Switzerland squad.
Transaction: New York Red Bulls loan Tom Edwards from Stoke City on January 27, 2021, pending receipt of P-1 Visa and ITC. Edwards will be with New York through the end of 2021 and will occupy an international spot on the Red Bulls roster.
Birthdate: January 22, 1999
Place of Birth: Stafford, England
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 27, 2021
- Real Salt Lake's Noah Powder Named to Trinidad & Tobago Squad to Face the United States - Real Salt Lake
- Houston Dynamo Sign Goalkeeper Kyle Morton - Houston Dynamo
- Whitecaps FC Re-Sign Central Defender/Midfielder Andy Rose - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC Re-Signs Defender Jordan Harvey to One-Year Deal - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Re-Signs Goalkeeper Stefan Cleveland and Defender Jimmy Medranda - Seattle Sounders FC
- 2021 NWSL Challenge Cup Set to be Played in Home Markets; Kickoff Scheduled for April 9 - Orlando City SC
- Exploria Stadium to Host 2022 Special Olympics Opening Ceremony - Orlando City SC
- New York Red Bulls Add Tom Edwards on Loan from Stoke City - New York Red Bulls
- Austin FC Unveils 'Legends Jersey' for 2021 MLS Season - Austin FC
- Inter Miami CF Signs Goalkeeper Dylan Castanheira from Fort Lauderdale CF - Inter Miami CF
- Philadelphia Union Sign Midfielder Jose Martinez to New Contract - Philadelphia Union
- D.C. United Re-Sign Defender Chris Odoi-Atsem Through 2022 - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- New York Red Bulls Add Carlos Coronel on Loan from Red Bull Salzburg
- Statement from General Manager Marc De Grandpre
- New York Red Bulls Launch 1Beat Kit
- New York Red Bulls Sign Academy Product Bento Estrela
- New York Red Bulls Add Brazilian Forward Fabio Roberto Gomes Netto on Loan from Oeste FC