Philadelphia Union Sign Defender Kai Wagner to New Contract
CHESTER, Pa. - Philadelphia Union announced today that the club has signed defender Kai Wagner to a new contract. Taking effect immediately, the deal ensures that Wagner, who made 14 starts and scored one goal at left back on the Union's 2020 Supporters' Shield-winning side, is under contact with the Union through the 2022 season, with a club option for 2023.
"Kai has been one of the best left backs in our league since he arrived in Philadelphia," said Ernst Tanner, Union Sporting Director. "We ask our defenders to dominate an entire flank by themselves, and he continually shows he is up to the challenge. We are delighted to have come to a longer-term agreement with Kai."
Wagner, 23, has made 44 regular-season appearances (44 starts) since joining Philadelphia in 2019. This past season he scored his first goal in a 2-1 victory over Miami (July 14) and logged his first multiple assist game when he added two helpers in a 5-0 win vs. Toronto (Oct. 24).
In his two seasons with the club, Wagner has been one of the league's top defenders, making MLS' Team of the Week three times in that span. In 2019, having eight assists in 30 games played ranked him first amongst MLS defenders. His eight assists as a defender also tied Sheanon Williams' all-time single-season club record. That same season he tied an all-time Union record with five blocked shots in one match (June 2 vs. Minnesota).
Prior to joining the Union, Wagner signed his first professional contract with SSV Ulm 1846, before becoming a member of Bundesliga club Schalke 04. He then signed with German side Wurzburger Kickers where he remained until signing with the Union.
TRANSACTION: Philadelphia Union sign defender Kai Wagner to a new contract on January 15 , 2021.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 15, 2021
- Real Salt Lake Parts Ways with Assistant Coach Matt Glaeser - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Look to Continue Recent Success at 2021 MLS SuperDraft on January 21 - Colorado Rapids
- LA Galaxy Sign Goalkeeper Jonathan Klinsmann to New Contract - LA Galaxy
- Columbus Crew SC Completes Transfer of Defender Chris Cadden - Columbus Crew SC
- Philadelphia Union Sign Defender Kai Wagner to New Contract - Philadelphia Union
- Sounders FC, RAVE Foundation and Northwest African American Museum Present "Books & Balls" Giveaway Monday in Celebration of Martin Luther King Jr. Day - Seattle Sounders FC
- Inter Miami Completes Participation in eMLS League Series One - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Signs Freddy Vargas on Loan from Deportivo Lara - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Army-Navy Cup IX and X Returns to Subaru Park in 2021
- Round of 16 Schedule Announced for 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Round
- Philadelphia Union Unveil New 2021 Secondary Kit
- Philadelphia Union Sign Midfielder Jose Martinez to New Contract
- Philadelphia Union Acquire $50,000 in Allocation Money from LAFC