Philadelphia Union Exercise 2019 Options on Seven Players
CHESTER, Pa. - Philadelphia Union today announced that they have exercised the contract options on seven players from their 2018 roster, while 10 contracts were already guaranteed for next season, giving the club a roster that currently features 17 players under contract for the 2019 campaign.
The club picked up the options of defenders Jack Elliott, Olivier Mbaizo, and Keegan Rosenberry; midfielders Ilsinho, Derrick Jones and Fafa Picault; and forward Cory Burke.
The contracts of the following players were already guaranteed for the 2019 season: goalkeeper Andre Blake; defenders Mark McKenzie, Matt Real and Auston Trusty; midfielders Brenden Aaronson, David Accam, Alejandro Bedoya, Anthony Fontana and Haris Medunjanin; and forward CJ Sapong.
Simultaneously, the Union announced that they have declined the contract options of goalkeeper Jake McGuire; defenders Richie Marquez and Josh Yaro; midfielders Marcus Epps, Fabian Herbers and Adam Najem; and forward Jay Simpson. The Union also declined the option of defender Fabinho, but are currently in negotiations with him on a new contract. Goalkeeper John McCarthy, defender Raymon Gaddis and midfielder Warren Creavalle are all out of contract entering the offseason. Midfielder Borek Dockal is also out of contract following the expiration of his loan from Chinese club Henan Jianye. Finally, the club holds a contract option on forward Kacper Przybylko that is yet to be acted upon.
Should the Union not reach a new agreement with any player either out of contract or who has had his option declined or not yet acted upon, the following MLS roster mechanisms would apply: Epps, McGuire, Najem, Przybylko, and Simpson would all be eligible for the 2018 Waiver Draft; while Creavalle, Fabinho, Gaddis, Herbers, Marquez, McCarthy and Yaro would be eligible for the 2018 Re-Entry Process. Dockal's MLS rights would be also be available via the Waiver Draft.
Union Sporting Director Ernst Tanner and Union Head Coach Jim Curtin will be available via press conference at the press conference room at Talen Energy Stadium (1 Stadium Dr, Chester PA 19013) today at 12:00 p.m. ET to discuss these roster moves in their end-of-season availability. Members of the media interested in attending should RSVP with Ryan Schwepfinger to receive the latest updates.
Members of the media not able to attend in person may join via conference call by dialing 800-582-3014 and entering the code 17252609, followed by the pound sign (#) for access to the call. Please remember to mute your line for the duration of the call, unless asking a question. Ryan Schwepfinger of Philadelphia Union Communications will moderate. Timing and availability are subject to change.
A full League list of players eligible for Free Agency, the Waiver Draft and the Re-Entry Process will be announced by MLS. For more information on the league's roster mechanisms, please click here.
After today's announcement, the Union's active roster entering the 2019 season stands as follows:
Goalkeepers (1): Andre Blake
Defenders (6): Jack Elliott, Olivier Mbaizo, Mark McKenzie, Matt Real, Keegan Rosenberry, Auston Trusty
Midfielders (8): Brenden Aaronson, David Accam, Alejandro Bedoya, Ilsinho, Anthony Fontana, Derrick Jones, Haris Medunjanin, Fafa Picault
Forwards (2): Cory Burke, CJ Sapong
TRANSACTIONS: Philadelphia Union picked up the 2019 contract options of defenders Jack Elliott, Olivier Mbaizo, and Keegan Rosenberry; midfielders Ilsinho, Derrick Jones and Fafa Picault; and forward Cory Burke. Simultaneously, Philadelphia Union declined the 2019 contract options of goalkeeper Jake McGuire; defenders Fabinho, Richie Marquez and Josh Yaro; midfielders Marcus Epps, Fabian Herbers and Adam Najem; and forward Jay Simpson. All transactions occurred on November 19, 2018.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 19, 2018
- Sounders FC Exercises Options on 10 Players - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Dallas and Head Coach Oscar Pareja Mutually Agree to Part Ways - FC Dallas
- Romario Williams out for Season with Left Ankle Injury - Atlanta United FC
- Columbus Crew SC Announces 2018 Team Award Winners - Columbus Crew SC
- FC Cincinnati Signs Corben Bone - FC Cincinnati
- eMLS League Series Two Comes to Frisco in February - FC Dallas
- Dynamo Announce 2018 Team Award Winners - Houston Dynamo
- LA Galaxy to Host Inaugural 2019 eMLS League Series One in January - Los Angeles Galaxy
- FC Cincinnati to Join eMLS in 2019; Announce First eMLS Player Signing - FC Cincinnati
- Major League Soccer and EA SPORTS Reveal Expanded Competitive FIFA Infrastructure, eMLS Cup Details and Additional Club Participation - MLS
- Philadelphia Union Exercise 2019 Options on Seven Players - Philadelphia Union
- D.C. United Announce That They Will Join eMLS in 2019 - D.C. United
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Philadelphia Union Professional Gamer Captures Second Title, Wins eMLS League Series Twoâ??
- Philadelphia Union Partners with Roxborough United SC
- Philadelphia Union Unveil Mexican National Team Player Marco Fabian as Designated Player
- Philadelphia Union Sign Mexican National Team Midfielder Marco Fabian
- Philadelphia Union Sign Defender Kai Wagner