Peter-Lee Vassell to Represent Jamaican National Team in World Cup Qualifiers
INDIANAPOLIS - Indy Eleven midfielder Peter-Lee Vassell has been called up to the Jamaican Men's National Team ahead of a trio of Concacaf region Final Round Qualifiers for the 2022 FIFA World Cup against Mexico this Thursday, September 2 (10:00 p.m. ET, live on Univision & Paramount+); Sunday, September 5 against Panama (6:05 p.m. ET, Paramount+); and Wednesday, September 8 against Costa Rica (9:00 p.m. ET, Paramount+).
As a result, Vassell will be unavailable for selection for Indy's next two USL Championship fixtures, this Saturday's home match against Atlanta United 2 and a road tilt at FC Tulsa next Wednesday, Sept. 8.
The St. James Parish, Jamaica native has turned heads in recent years with the Jamaican National Team, bagging six and four assists in 17 appearances with the "Reggae Boyz" at the senior international level including contests in the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup and Concacaf Nations League. Vassell is poised to make his first "cap" since March 2020 while out on duty.
The 23-year-old has begun to find a steady flow of minutes for Indy Eleven, having scored his first two goals for the squad earlier this month. Vassell has appeared in 15 of Indy's 20 regular season games to date - including five in the starting lineup - and appears poised to contribute more as the Boys in Blue head into the final stretch of the 2021 USL Championship season.
Prior to joining Indy Eleven, Vassell split the 2019 season between a pair of regular season champions, making six appearances for Major League Soccer's Los Angeles Football Club as part of their MLS Supporters Shield winning campaign and playing another six games on loan for USL Championship side Phoenix Rising FC. Vassell made his journey stateside after LAFC selected the attacking midfielder as its first pick in the 2019 MLS SuperDraft (2nd round, 40th overall selection) following his standout performances in both the MLS Caribbean Combine and MLS Combine.
Indy Eleven (7W-8L-5D, 26 pts.; 4th in Central Division) continues its streak of four consecutive Saturdays at Carroll Stadium this weekend, when Indiana's Team will host Atlanta United 2 (6W-9L-7D, 25 pts.; 6th place in Central) for a Labor Day Weekend clash. Tickets for the 7:00 p.m. ET match presented by IBEW Local 481 - which will feature $4 beers and $11 hot dog combos - can be secured by visiting indyeleven.com/tickets or by calling 317-685-1100 during regular business hours. For full details surrounding the evening's events, visit indyeleven.com/promotions.
Concacaf 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers: Sept. 2, 5 & 8 (Rounds 1-3 of 14)
Home teams listed first
Thursday, Sept. 2
Canada vs. Honduras - 8:05 p.m. ET (Paramount+, Universo)
Panama vs. Costa Rica - 9:05 p.m. ET (Paramount+)
Mexico vs. Jamaica - 10:00 p.m. ET (Univision, Paramount+)
El Salvador vs. United States - 10:05 p.m. ET - CBS Sports Network, Paramount+, Universo
Sunday, Sept. 5
Jamaica vs. Panama - 6:05 p.m. ET (Paramount+)
Costa Rica vs. Mexico - 7:00 p.m. ET (CBS Sports Network, Universo, Telemundo, Paramount+)
United States vs. Canada - 8:00 p.m. ET (FS1, UniMas, TUDN)
El Salvador vs. Honduras - 10:05 p.m. ET (Paramount+)
Wednesday, Sept. 8
Canada vs. El Salvador - 7:30 p.m. (Paramount+)
Costa Rica vs. Jamaica - 9:00 p.m. ET (Paramount+)
Panama vs. Mexico - 9:05 p.m. ET (Telemundo, Universo, Paramount+)
Honduras vs. United States - 10:05 p.m. (Universo, Paramount+)
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 31, 2021
- Around the Leagues: Big Moves as International Deadline Approaches - Sacramento Republic FC
- USL Statement: COVID-19 Test Results: August 31, 2021 - USL
- Amjot Narang Become Sixth Republic Academy Player to Make USL Championship Debut in 17 Months - Sacramento Republic FC
- Match Preview: Legion FC at Sporting KC II - Wednesday, September 1 - Birmingham Legion FC
- $5,000 Cash Drop this Weekend - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Peter-Lee Vassell to Represent Jamaican National Team in World Cup Qualifiers - Indy Eleven
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC vs. SLC - San Antonio FC
- Lamar Walker Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Miami FC
- Oliver Larraz Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - San Diego Loyal
- Game-Winning Goal Puts Cicerone Back in Team of the Week - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Triston Hodge Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Legion FC Defender Ryan James Named to Team of the Week - Birmingham Legion FC
- Four FC Tulsa Players Honored on USL Championship Team of the Week - FC Tulsa
- Tampa Bay Rowdies' Evan Louro voted Player of the Week after two shutouts, penalty save - USL
- Match Preview: Republic FC V LA Galaxy II - Sacramento Republic FC
- Real Monarchs Visit San Antonio FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- 3 Things: #PITvNY - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- New Mexico United Bring Saalih Muhammad to New Mexico, Send Brian Brown to Oakland - New Mexico United
- Hartford Host Charleston to Kick off Busy September - Hartford Athletic
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indy Eleven Stories
- New Indy Eleven Head Coach Mark Lowry Named USL Championship Coach of the Year Finalist
- Indy Eleven Midfielder Ayoze Staying in Circle City in 2022
- Indy Eleven Confirms Return of Five Players for 2022 Season
- Indy Eleven Installs Mark Lowry as Head Coach
- Goalkeeper Jordan Farr to Represent San Antonio FC During Emergency Loan Stint