Amjot Narang Become Sixth Republic Academy Player to Make USL Championship Debut in 17 Months
Amjot Narang stepped onto the pitch late in Saturday's match with San Diego Loyal, adding to an impressive SRFC Academy track record of propelling youth talent to the upper echelon of professional soccer.
After an impressive run at the MLS Next Cup in Dallas, Amjot earned a USL Academy contract in July. As a member of the U-19s squad, Amjot and his fellow graduating seniors were saluted for their academy careers during the halftime of Republic FC's 3-1 win over New York Red Bulls II on July 31. But before he heads to UCLA in the spring, Narang continues to sharpen his skills with Republic FC's first team - including making his debut last Saturday.
"It was a huge moment," Narang said. "It's not just a testament to all the work I've put in, but also that the club, family, friends, especially teammates and coaches have put in to help me develop as a player."
Narang's time on the pitch on Saturday was impactful. The El Dorado Hills native had eight touches in his first 10 professional minutes - four of those for passes, with three of the four passes coming in the attacking half. Two of those passes went to Cam Iwasa, and the other two went to SRFC's newest attacking midfielder, Emil Cuello.
While it's easy to get caught up in the celebratory nature of a professional debut, Narang's used his central midfield role for the Indomitable Club to create one of SRFC's 11 chances on the night. Republic FC played the ball around the attacking midfield in the 87th minute, before the ball fell to Narang, who found Iwasa in space for a shot on target.
Narang's quick passing and first touches on the ball were a shadow of his style of play at MLS NEXT, where his tactical abilities and high soccer IQ made him the offensive catalyst for one of two SRFC Academy sides to advance to the tournament semifinals.
Narang's hard work since joining the Academy in 2016 has led him to join a pipeline of Republic FC Academy products to feature at the USL Championship level. This pipeline includes current first team pro members Hayden Sargis, Mario Penagos, Rafael Jauregui and Nabi Kibunguchy - who also made his professional debut earlier this year.
"It speaks to the club's investment into the youth," Narang said. "It shows that not only is the club willing to play the youth, but we're able to produce players. I think that's great for the club, the players and the community as a whole. I feel that the club and myself had made myself ready for that moment."
Narang will be available for selection on Wednesday night when the Indomitable Club faces LA Galaxy II at Dignity Health Sports Park for a 7:30 p.m. kickoff.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 31, 2021
- Around the Leagues: Big Moves as International Deadline Approaches - Sacramento Republic FC
- USL Statement: COVID-19 Test Results: August 31, 2021 - USL
- Amjot Narang Become Sixth Republic Academy Player to Make USL Championship Debut in 17 Months - Sacramento Republic FC
- Match Preview: Legion FC at Sporting KC II - Wednesday, September 1 - Birmingham Legion FC
- $5,000 Cash Drop this Weekend - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Peter-Lee Vassell to Represent Jamaican National Team in World Cup Qualifiers - Indy Eleven
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC vs. SLC - San Antonio FC
- Lamar Walker Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Miami FC
- Oliver Larraz Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - San Diego Loyal
- Game-Winning Goal Puts Cicerone Back in Team of the Week - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Triston Hodge Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Legion FC Defender Ryan James Named to Team of the Week - Birmingham Legion FC
- Four FC Tulsa Players Honored on USL Championship Team of the Week - FC Tulsa
- Tampa Bay Rowdies' Evan Louro voted Player of the Week after two shutouts, penalty save - USL
- Match Preview: Republic FC V LA Galaxy II - Sacramento Republic FC
- Real Monarchs Visit San Antonio FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- 3 Things: #PITvNY - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- New Mexico United Bring Saalih Muhammad to New Mexico, Send Brian Brown to Oakland - New Mexico United
- Hartford Host Charleston to Kick off Busy September - Hartford Athletic
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Academy Check In: Sacramento's Youth Squads Prep for Tournament Weekend
- Republic FC Goalkeeper Coach Matt Glaeser Named Head Coach of Forward Madison FC
- Around the Leagues: Quest for MLS Cup Continues
- Building for 2022: Casey's Confidence Bolsters the Back Line
- Give Back & Make a Difference this Holiday Season with Republic FC's Winter Wishlist Program