Lamar Walker Named to USL Championship Team of the Week
TAMPA, Fla. - The USL Championship announced the Team of the Week Presented by Cleer Audio for Week 19 of the 2021 regular season on Tuesday, which included Miami FC forward Lamar Walker.
The Jamaican international scored a pair of goals after coming on as a substitute to help Miami pull away for a 3-0 victory against the New York Red Bulls II on Sunday night and recorded three shots while completing 12 of 15 passes.
Walker's week has also included a call-up to the Jamaican national team in their upcoming FIFA World Cup Qualifying matches against Mexico, Panama and Costa Rica.
Tampa Bay Rowdies goalkeeper Evan Louro was voted Player of the Week after recording two shutouts and eight saves, including his second penalty kick save of the season, as the Rowdies claimed a pair of victories to remain on top of the Atlantic Division.
Louro earned 56 percent of the ballot to claim the award. Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC's Russell Cicerone finished second on 22 percent, earning his second consecutive selection to the Championship Team of the Week after scoring twice, including a late winner, in the Hounds' 3-2 victory against Hartford Athletic on Saturday night at Dillon Stadium.
The Championship's Player of the Week is selected by the USL National Media Panel, which is made up of representatives from each media market in the Championship.
USL Championship Team of the Week - Week 19
GK - Evan Louro, Tampa Bay Rowdies: Evan Louro recorded back-to-back shutouts against Loudoun United FC and the Charlotte Independence, including a six-save performance that included his second penalty-kick save of the season at Loudoun on Monday night.
D - Triston Hodge, Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC: The Trinidad and Tobago international scored his first goal for the Switchbacks and was big defensively, recording 11 recoveries and six interceptions while winning 5 of 6 tackles in his side's 4-1 win against Austin Bold FC.
D - Matt Sheldon, FC Tulsa: Matt Sheldon recorded his second goal of the season and across a pair of Tulsa victories won 16 of 24 duels and made two interceptions and nine recoveries while completing 49 of 66 passes against Memphis 901 FC and Atlanta United 2.
D - Forrest Lasso, Tampa Bay Rowdies: The 2020 Championship Defender of the Year scored his first goal of the season in Tampa Bay's victory against Loudoun United FC and over two shutouts recorded 12 clearances, won 13 of 18 duels and 9 of 12 aerial duels as well as completing 74 of 88 passes.
D - Oliver Larraz, San Diego Loyal SC: Oliver Larraz recorded his first goal for SD Loyal since arriving on loan from the Colorado Rapids and completed 4 of 5 dribbles while making 10 recoveries and completing 32 of 39 passes in the side's 3-1 victory against Sacramento Republic FC on Saturday night.
M - Jorge Hernandez, LA Galaxy II: The 20-year-old made the Galaxy II attack go in a 3-2 victory against Las Vegas Lights FC on Friday night, tying a USL Championship all-time high of 11 key passes in the game while notching one goal, completing 25 of 30 passes and 6 of 6 dribbles, and winning 7 of 9 duels.
M - Lebo Moloto, FC Tulsa: The South African playmaker recorded his first two goals of the season on Saturday night in Tulsa's 3-1 win against Atlanta United 2 and had four shots and two key passes while winning 4 of 5 duels and completing 22 of 31 passes overall.
M - Lewis Hilton, Tampa Bay Rowdies: Lewis Hilton recorded his first goal of the season and an assist in the Rowdies' victory against Loudoun United, and over the week completed 78 of 91 passes, had four key passes overall and made nine recoveries as Tampa Bay picked up six points over its two outings.
F - Russell Cicerone, Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC: Russell Cicerone moved into second place in the Championship's Golden Boot race as he recorded a pair of goals including the winner in second-half stoppage time as the Hounds defeated Hartford Athletic 3-2 at Dillon Stadium while completing 22 of 27 passes and recording three shots overall.
F - Marlon, FC Tulsa: Marlon scored twice after coming on as a second-half substitute, including a stoppage-time winner, as Tulsa took an important 2-1 win against Memphis 901 FC on Wednesday night and had five shots and won 14 duels over the side's two games for the week.
F - Lamar Walker, Miami FC: The Jamaican international scored a pair of goals after coming on as a substitute to help Miami pull away for a 3-0 victory against the New York Red Bulls II on Sunday night and recorded three shots while completing 12 of 15 passes.
Bench: Jordan Farr (IND), Ryan James (BHM), Jorge Corrales (TUL) Wal Fall (OAK), Manuel Arteaga (IND), Joey Calistri (PHX), Augustine Williams (SD)
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 31, 2021
- Around the Leagues: Big Moves as International Deadline Approaches - Sacramento Republic FC
- USL Statement: COVID-19 Test Results: August 31, 2021 - USL
- Amjot Narang Become Sixth Republic Academy Player to Make USL Championship Debut in 17 Months - Sacramento Republic FC
- Match Preview: Legion FC at Sporting KC II - Wednesday, September 1 - Birmingham Legion FC
- $5,000 Cash Drop this Weekend - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Peter-Lee Vassell to Represent Jamaican National Team in World Cup Qualifiers - Indy Eleven
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC vs. SLC - San Antonio FC
- Lamar Walker Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Miami FC
- Oliver Larraz Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - San Diego Loyal
- Game-Winning Goal Puts Cicerone Back in Team of the Week - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Triston Hodge Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Legion FC Defender Ryan James Named to Team of the Week - Birmingham Legion FC
- Four FC Tulsa Players Honored on USL Championship Team of the Week - FC Tulsa
- Tampa Bay Rowdies' Evan Louro voted Player of the Week after two shutouts, penalty save - USL
- Match Preview: Republic FC V LA Galaxy II - Sacramento Republic FC
- Real Monarchs Visit San Antonio FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- 3 Things: #PITvNY - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- New Mexico United Bring Saalih Muhammad to New Mexico, Send Brian Brown to Oakland - New Mexico United
- Hartford Host Charleston to Kick off Busy September - Hartford Athletic
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.