Penguins Hold off Admirals for Third Straight Win
NORFOLK, Va. - Riley Holzapfel and Alex Grant each had a goal and two assists as the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins won their third straight with a 4-2 victory over the Norfolk Admirals at the Norfolk Scope.
With the game in a 1-1 deadlock going into the third period, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton went ahead for the first time in the match on Paul Thompson's team-leading 12th goal of the season. As his linemates crashed toward the Admirals' net, Thompson took a shot at the 4:49 mark that pinballed off of traffic in front and slipped past goalie Viktor Fasth.
A man-advantage allowed Norfolk to tie things up with just over five minutes left in regulation when Josh Brittain beat Brad Thiessen over the shoulder with a shot from the far circle.
A minute later, the Penguins were given their own chance to respond on the own power play. Grant blasted a slapshot from the blueline that found the back of the net for his first tally of the season and a 3-2 Wilkes-Barre/Scranton edge.
Norfolk would have one last chance to tie the game, skating 6-on-4 with a power play and their net empty, but Brian Gibbons blocked a shot and fired the loose puck home to seal the win for the Penguins.
The Admirals drew first blood at 6:56 of the first as Nick Schaus fired a wrist shot from the wing that eluded the glove of Thiessen.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton was awarded a two-man advantage early in the second and capitalized at 3:07 to even the score. Brian Dumoulin set up Grant at the point for a one-timer that Holzapfel tipped by Fasth for his 10th goal of the year.
Thiessen made 11 saves on just 13 shots to gather his fourth win in five starts. Fasth, appearing in his first game in North America, stopped 25-of-28 for Norfolk
The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins take the ice versus the Hershey Bears on Sunday, Jan. 20 at 5:00PM for the 2013 Capital BlueCross AHL Outdoor Classic.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton season ticket packages, including 12-game and Flexbook plans, are available by contacting the Penguins directly at 570-208-7367.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2013
- Monarchs Caught in a "JAM" - Manchester Monarchs
- Penguins Slide by Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- 'Jam' Records Falcons' First Hat Trick in Nearly Two Years - Springfield Falcons
- Penguins Hold off Admirals for Third Straight Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Whale Wallops Portland - Connecticut Whale
- AHL Weekly - AHL
- Sharks Look to Gronk this Weekend - Worcester Sharks Weekly - Worcester Sharks
- Minnesota Wild Sign RW Nick Palmieri to One-Year Contract - Houston Aeros
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- AHL Board of Governors Votes to Discontinue Test of "Hybrid Icing" Rule - AHL
- Wolves Sign Trent Daavettila to PTO - Chicago Wolves
- Hamilton Bulldogs Weekly - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Worcester Sharks Offer Free Tickets to the Unemployed - Worcester Sharks
- Canadiens Acquire DeSantis from Panthers in Exchange for Nash - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Assigns Goaltender Viktor Fasth to Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Amerks Recall Defenseman Corey Fienhage from Gwinnett - Rochester Americans
- Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield At Manchester, Game #36 - Springfield Falcons
- Rosters Announced for Capital Bluecross AHL Outdoor Classic Alumni Game - Hershey Bears
- Admirals Sign Marino, Rizk to Professional Tryout Contracts - Norfolk Admirals
- Stars Weekly (week 15) - Stars Sweep Weekend Again, Set Franchise Win-Streak Record - Texas Stars
- Payerl Re-Joins Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bears Sign Goaltender Drew MacIntyre to PTO - Hershey Bears
- The Rock Report - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.