Pelicans Shut Out Woodpeckers 2-0
May 25, 2023 - Carolina League (CarL) - Myrtle Beach Pelicans News Release
The Myrtle Beach Pelicans won their third game in a row on Thursday night with a 2-0 shutout victory over the Fayetteville Woodpeckers. The win pushed the Pelicans to a 22-20 record while the Woodpeckers dropped to 16-25.
In a relatively quiet night for the lineup, Andy Garriola (1-4, RBI) continued his hot month of May with an RBI single. Juan Mora (2-4, 2B) tallied the only multi-hit game for the Pelicans.
Three pitchers combined for the Pelicans' first shutout win of the year as Starlyn Pichardo (1-0) took the win with 2 1/3 innings of work and four strikeouts. Johzan Oquendo struck out five of the six batters he faced to earn his first save of the season.
The Woodpeckers were held to just three hits and left five on base while going 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position.
Starter Jose Fleury (0-3) took the loss by allowing both runs in his 5 2/3 innings off seven hits while striking out three. Reliever Jeremy Molero walked five batters in just under two innings in his outing.
After a scoreless three innings for both teams, the Pelicans took the lead in the top of the fourth. With Mora on third and one out, Garriola looped a single to right field to score the run and give the Pelicans an early lead.
The Pelicans added one more in the top of the sixth. With runners on second and third and one out, Fleury balked to score Rafael Morel and put Myrtle Beach up 2-0.
Myrtle Beach and Fayetteville will meet for game three on Friday night at 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from May 25, 2023
- Pelicans Shut Out Woodpeckers 2-0 - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Misiorowski's 9 Ks & Avina's Homer Lead Micro Brews to 5-0 Victory - Carolina Mudcats
- Woodpeckers Blanked in Fifth Straight Loss - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Nationals Win Back-and-Forth Battle 5-3 - Fredericksburg Nationals
- RiverDogs Go Scoreless After First Inning, Fall in Extras - Charleston RiverDogs
- Shorebirds Blanked by Hillcats in Game Three - Delmarva Shorebirds
- McCabe Homers for Second Straight Night, Augusta Wins on COPA Night - Augusta GreenJackets
- Walk-Off Winner Caps Special Night at Segra Park - Columbia Fireflies
- Segra Park Welcomes 1.5 Millionth Fan Thursday Night - Columbia Fireflies
- Homestand Preview: RiverDogs Host GreenJackets in Final Full Homestand of First Half - Charleston RiverDogs
- Columbia Fireflies Game Notes 5.25 vs Charleston - Columbia Fireflies
- Fredericksburg Conquers Game Two in the Top of the Ninth - Salem Red Sox
- Guilarte and Aquino to 7-Day IL; INF Alex Perez Added - Carolina Mudcats
- Woodpeckers Drop Extra-Inning Game to Pelicans - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Myrtle Beach Pelicans Stories
- McCullough Fans Nine, Pelicans Win Series Finale Over Red Sox 6-3
- Pelicans Grab Two Victories On Saturday Over Red Sox
- Pelicans and Red Sox Suspended After Three Innings
- Pabon's Walk-Off Sacrifice Fly Lifts Pelicans to 7-6 Victory Over Red Sox
- Birds Blanked by Red Sox 3-0