Patriots Shut out Barnstormers 2-0
Bridgewater, NJ - The Somerset Patriots (11-3) shut out the Lancaster Barnstormers (5-10) 2-0 before 6,801 fans at TD Bank Ballpark on Saturday evening.
All the scoring took place in the bottom of the third inning when the Patriots claimed a 2-0 lead on an RBI single by Will Kengor and a sacrifice fly by Edwin Espinal.
Patriots starter Brett Oberholtzer (1-0) kept Lancaster off the board with five scoreless innings for his first win as a Patriot. He allowed just two hits, while striking out three batters.
"It was a better tempo. I've been working with my mechanics," said Oberholtzer. "I've tried to simplify everything, but for the most part my mentality was fill the strike zone up and get ahead. Classic, old fashioned, get ahead and attack to try to finish them off."
Somerset also received two scoreless innings of relief from James Pugliese and another from Mike Broadway. Mike Antonini then came in for his league leading seventh save of the season with a perfect ninth inning and two strikeouts.
The 2019 Somerset Patriots Season presented by Ford will continue at home with a 1:05 pm game on Sunday, May 12th against the Lancaster Barnstormers. The game features a Mother's Day Celebration. For tickets, stop by the box office located at TD Bank Ballpark, call (908) 252-0700, or visit www.somersetpatriots.com.
Images from this story
Somerset Patriots pitcher Brett Oberholtzer
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from May 11, 2019
- Revs Unable to Slow Red Hot Rockers Despite Packed House at PeoplesBank Park - York Revolution
- Somerset Wins Pitchers' Duel, 2-0 - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Ducks Top Skeeters in See-Saw Extra Inning Slugfest - Long Island Ducks
- Patriots Shut out Barnstormers 2-0 - Somerset Patriots
- Bees And Blue Crabs Split Doubleheader In Waldorf - New Britain Bees
- Blue Crabs Break out of Their Shell - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Tim Adleman's Contract Purchased by Detroit Tigers - Long Island Ducks
- Revs Done in by Long Ball on Friday Night - York Revolution
- Bees Hang On Late For Third Consecutive Victory - New Britain Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.