Patriots, Jodie Makes History with 4-2 Win
Lancaster, Pennsylvania - Somerset Patriots (13-6) manager Brett Jodie earned the 500th win of his professional career with a 4-2 win over the Lancaster Barnstormers (7-12) Friday night at Clipper Magazine Stadium.
With the win, Jodie becomes the fastest manager in Atlantic League history to win his 500th game.
Somerset jumped in front with a three-run top of the fourth inning. Alfredo Rodriguez and Ramon Flores went back-to-back with RBI doubles to open the scoring, before a run-scoring wild pitch later in the inning increased the Patriot lead.
Edwin Espinal (2) added to the Somerset lead with a line drive solo home run over the right field fence in the sixth inning. Lancaster responded an inning later with a two-out, two-run Caleb Gindl (4) home run to trim the Patriot lead in half.
Somerset's bullpen closed the door the rest of the way to finish off the historic win.
David Kubiak (3-0) earned the win by scattering five hits with six strikeouts over six scoreless innings. Jake McCasland (1-3) yielded four runs over seven frames to take the loss. Mike Antonini (8) earned the save with a scoreless ninth inning.
The Patriots and Barnstormers continue their four-game series Saturday night. Somerset southpaw Brett Oberholtzer (1-0, 4.15 ERA) takes the mound against Lancaster righty Kyle Davies (0-1, 2.25 ERA). First pitch at Clipper Magazine Stadium is set for 7:00 p.m.
The 2019 Somerset Patriots Season presented by Ford will continue on the road until Tuesday, May 21st when the team returns to TD Bank Ballpark for a 6:35 pm game against the Sugar Land Skeeters. The game features Dancing With The Patriots Night. For tickets, stop by the box office located at TD Bank Ballpark, call (908) 252-0700, or visit www.somersetpatriots.com.
Images from this story
Somerset Patriots manager Brett Jodie
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from May 17, 2019
- Patriots, Jodie Makes History with 4-2 Win - Somerset Patriots
- Somerset's Kubiak Freezes Lancaster at 999 Wins - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Brett Jodie Wins 500th Game as Somerset Patriots Manager - Somerset Patriots
- Nieuwenhuis and Washington Blast Ducks Past Bees - Long Island Ducks
- Southern Maryland Falls in First Ever Meeting with High Point - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- July4York to Reach New Heights of Fun - York Revolution
- Tonight Is Mental Health Awareness Night, Presented by Mental Health Associates of the Triad - High Point Rockers
- Revs' Woes in Texas Continue with Another Shutout Loss - York Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Somerset Patriots Stories
- Somerset Patriots Announce Added Programming on Radio Partner 1450 WCTC-AM
- Somerset Patriots Opening Day at Home Event Reaches Incredible Audience
- Somerset Patriots Re-Sign Southpaw Jeff Kinley
- Somerset Patriots Bring Back All-Star RHP David Kubiak
- Somerset Patriots Land Eight-Year Major Leaguer Vance Worley