Owens' jumper seals win for Arsenal
AUSTIN, Texas, Dec. 1, 2006 - Andre Owens' jumper with less than a second remaining in overtime helped the Anaheim Arsenal defeat the Austin Toros 107-105 on Friday night at the Austin Convention Center. Owens scored six of his ten points in the overtime period to give the Arsenal their second win of the season.
B.J. Elder hit a three pointer to tie the game at 105-105 with 7.9 seconds left in overtime but wasn't it wasn't enough to extend the game any further for the Toros. The Arsenal pushed the ball up the court immediately after Elder's shot which helped set up the game winner by Owens. Elder finished with 16 points and four rebounds.
"If we knew one thing about Owens is that he is a scorer," Toros head coach Dennis Johnson said. "He can score going to the basket and looks to score off every opportunity like missed shots and offensive rebounds."
Jamar Smith finished with 29 points and 11 rebounds for the Toros, who had four other players in double figures including Brad Buckman (15), Scott Merritt (13) and Brock Gillespie (11).
The Toros were plagued by turnovers the entire game, turning the ball over three times in the extra period and 25 times for the game. Poor free throw shooting (12-for-23) was a big problem for Austin, who has still yet to win a game this season.
"When a team misses 22 free throws, you can't realistically expect them to even be in the game," Johnson said. "We were very lucky to be able to get into overtime despite the bad shooting all game."
Six Arsenal players finished in double figures including Daryl Dorsey (14), Davin White (14) and Andre Owens (10). Jawad Williams, Tyler Smith and Corsley Edwards all finished with 17 points.
Anaheim Arsenal and the Austin Toros complete the second game of the weekend on Saturday at 7:00 p.m. at the Austin Convention Center.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 1, 2006
- 14ers Stay Unbeaten in Home Opener - Colorado 14ers
- Owens' jumper seals win for Arsenal - Anaheim Arsenal
- Flyers Win Home Opener - Fort Worth Flyers
- Tulsa gets warm victory over Dakota - Tulsa 66ers
- Skyforce complete sweep of Idaho - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Austin brings Bowen back - G League
- Trybanski returns to Tulsa - Tulsa 66ers
- 66ers Games Will Be Televised Live on KWHB 47 - Tulsa 66ers
- Tulsa 66ers Will Play as Scheduled - Tulsa 66ers
- Nuggets Assign Hodge to D-League 14ers - G League
- D-League daily developments - G League
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.