Otters Battle Miners to Win Series Opener
EVANSVILLE, Ind. - The Evansville Otters kept it rolling on the river with a come-from-behind 4-3 victory over the Southern Illinois Miners Friday night from Bosse Field.
In front of 2,400 fans at Bosse Field, the Otters won their fourth in a row to remain atop the Frontier League's West Division.
The Miners took the first lead of the night when Ian Walters scored from third on a sac fly by Luke Mangieri. The Miners would score their only other runs of the night when Jared Mang hit an opposite-field home run that scored Anthony Brocato, who had reached on a fielding error.
Evansville answered quickly in the bottom of the second, when Elijah MacNamee smoked a leadoff home run off the back wall of billboards beyond left field.
The Otters would cut the Miners' lead to one when J.R. Davis doubled home Miles Gordon in the bottom of the fifth, making the score 3-2.
Braden Scott would toss his last frame in the top of the seventh, throwing his sixth scoreless inning while allowing only his second hit of the night on an infield single. Scott finished the top half of the inning with ten strikeouts and only one walk.
After the stretch, the Otters would rally to tie the game when Miles Gordon collected his second hit of the day on an RBI double that scored Andy DeJesus. Then, with two out, J.R. Davis drove home the go-ahead run with an infield single back up the middle that was stopped on a slide behind the second base bag. The Otters then led by what would be the 4-3 final.
Taylor Wright came on to pitch a 1-2-3 eighth with two strikeouts.
After the Otters were kept from scoring insurance in their half of the inning, Logan Sawyer came on to work the top of the ninth with the slim, one-run lead.
Facing the meat of the Miners' order, Sawyer would tear off a perfect ninth inning, picking up his league-leading fifteenth save.
The Otters will continue their four-game series with the Miners with doubleheader action Saturday night. Game one will start at 5:05 p.m. Saturday night's game will be broadcast on Frontier League LiveTV, with a 4:50 p.m. pregame show.
The Evansville Otters are the 2006 and 2016 Frontier League champions.
The Otters play all home games at historic Bosse Field, located at 23 Don Mattingly Way in Evansville, Ind. Stay up-to-date with the Evansville Otters by visiting evansvilleotters.com, or follow the Otters on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
For more information, visit evansvilleotters.com or call (812) 435-8686.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from July 31, 2021
- Miners Drop Heartbreaking Doubleheader at Evansville - Southern Illinois Miners
- ValleyCats Give up Lead, Drop Series at Washington - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Slammers Come up Short in Game Two Loss - Joliet Slammers
- Wild Things Earn Sixth Straight Win in Middle Game - Washington Wild Things
- Wirchansky Helps Boulders Snap 6-Game Skid - New York Boulders
- ThunderBolts Drop Second Straight to Schaumburg - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Boomers Dispatch Windy City - Schaumburg Boomers
- Crushers cruise in 7-2 win over Florence - Lake Erie Crushers
- Florence Musters Just Three Hits in Loss at Lake Erie - Florence Y'alls
- Otters Battle Miners to Win Series Opener - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.