One Swing Results in Florence Sweep
SCHAUMBURG, IL - Payton Lobdell took a no-hitter into the seventh, but a three-run homer from Ricky Ramirez, Jr. handed the Schaumburg Boomers, presented by Wintrust Community Banks, a sixth straight loss with a 3-2 defeat at the hands of the Florence Freedom.
Lobdell retired 17 straight after issuing a one-out walk in the first but ended up suffering the loss despite facing the minimum entering the seventh. Quincy Nieporte and Matt Rose homered on consecutive pitches in the bottom of the sixth with two outs to hand Schaumburg a 2-0 lead. The go-ahead homer from Florence came moments after the first hit of the night in the seventh.
Lobdell worked 6.1 innings and allowed three runs on three hits to take the loss. Dylan Stutsman, Darrell Thompson and Erik Martinez combined to finish the contest. Schaumburg finished with six hits in the defeat. Dylan Jones and Clint Hardy both notched a pair. Florence finished 9-0 against the Boomers this season.
The Boomers (38-37) hit the road on Friday night with the opener of a three-game series against the surging Southern Illinois Miners. LHP Aaron Rozek (5-3, 2.81) makes the start in the opener against RHP Chase Cunningham (7-4, 3.64). Just six home games remain on the schedule. Visit boomersbaseball.com for tickets and information or call 847-461-3695.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 8, 2019
- Freedom Swing to a Sweep - Florence Freedom
- Otters Complete Home Sweep of Crushers - Evansville Otters
- One Swing Results in Florence Sweep - Schaumburg Boomers
- Rascals Blasted in Finale - River City Rascals
- Series Finale Goes 11, Wild Things Win in 11th - Washington Wild Things
- ThunderBolts Use the Long Ball to Beat the Rascals - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Freedom Rout Boomers to Take Series - Florence Freedom
- Rascals Sweep Doubleheader - River City Rascals
- Long's Clutch RBI Gives Otters Series Win - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.