Series Finale Goes 11, Wild Things Win in 11th
WASHINGTON, Pa. (August 8) - JR Davis' three-run, walk-off homer in the home half of the 11th inning lifted the Wild Things to what turned out to be a comeback victory in the rubber game of the series with the Slammers. Jesus Balaguer pitched 3.1 scoreless frames to pick up the win in relief.
Washington started the scoring in the third when Stephen Lohr plated Alex Murphy, who doubled twice in the game. Murphy then scored again to make it 2-0 when Brett Marr singled him home in the fifth. Joliet plated three in the sixth to take the lead.
Murphy hit a sac fly in the seventh to score JJ Fernandez, which tied the game at 3. It took extras, as Davis' home run lifted the Wild Things to a win in 11 innings as they took the series.
Washington now gets set to host Evansville for four games this weekend, with the resumption of June 20's game set for Saturday. The originally-scheduled series begins Friday with a 7:05 p.m. first pitch against the Otters. Righty Jake Welch will pitch for Evansville against Washington's Nick Wegmann.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 8, 2019
- Freedom Swing to a Sweep - Florence Y'alls
- Otters Complete Home Sweep of Crushers - Evansville Otters
- One Swing Results in Florence Sweep - Schaumburg Boomers
- Rascals Blasted in Finale - River City Rascals
- Series Finale Goes 11, Wild Things Win in 11th - Washington Wild Things
- ThunderBolts Use the Long Ball to Beat the Rascals - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Freedom Rout Boomers to Take Series - Florence Y'alls
- Rascals Sweep Doubleheader - River City Rascals
- Long's Clutch RBI Gives Otters Series Win - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.